UHD Drive from Amazon?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
WillyMk

UHD Drive from Amazon?

Post by WillyMk » Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:00 pm

Is there a reliable UHD drive I can buy today from Amazon in the US that can work with MakeMkv? If so, which one should I get.

To be clear, I'm not interested in a drive from a forum user. I would like to buy one from Amazon.

Woodstock

Re: UHD Drive from Amazon?

Post by Woodstock » Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:34 pm

Buying from Amazon will not get you a "UHD-capable" drive directly, without after-market help.

Pioneer drives will not be "downgradable" to remove the blocks against general UHD reading, but non-Pioneer drives can have their firmware replaced to enable UHD reading.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

WillyMk

Post by WillyMk » Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:07 pm

So a non pioneer drive such as LG Electronics WH16NS40 should be something I can change the firmware on and make usable?

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:08 pm

Yes. Any current drive out there will refuse to read UHD disks, except under certain conditions. Non-Pioneer drives can have their firmware updated to remove that restriction.

That said, the Pioneer drives are reportedly better at reading UHD disks than the LG/Asus drives, especially 3-layer disks. You just need to find one with firmware older than December 2022, which you are unlikely to do at Amazon nowadays. Some of the third-party vendors you have excluded have access to non-US sources, and can obtain drives with the older (working) firmware.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

WillyMk

Post by WillyMk » Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:45 pm

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:08 pm
Yes.
OK thanks. It's unfortunate these optical formats are so error prone. But if the drive fails to read discs that it should be able to I'll just return it.