5.25" Drive Enclosures with Support for Flashing

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Chris Kelly

5.25" Drive Enclosures with Support for Flashing

Post by Chris Kelly »

I understand that the Other World Mercury Pro will not fit Pioneer drives. Yet someone on Amazon claimed they used it with a Pioneer BDR-209. I have a Pioneer BDR-212UBK, as well as an LG WH16NS40 and LG WH16NS60. Are there any enclosures which have three 5.25" bays? How do the Other World Computing Mercury Pro and Vantec NST-536S3-BK compare as far as what version of SATA (I, II, or III) and USB (3.0, 3.1, or 3.2) do they include, as well as the DC voltage and current of their power supplies (12 Volts with under 3 Amps, 12 Volts with 3 Amps, or 12 Volts with higher than 3 Amps)? I think my LG WH16NS60 will be the fastest drive for 4K UHD ripping. However, for Blu-ray and DVD ripping, my Pioneer is noticibly faster than the LGs. For best performance, I'll want an enclosure which will include the latest versions of SATA and USB, as well as minimal voltage drops when the drive spins at high speeds, which a higher current rating of the included power supply should help keep under control.
Chris Kelly

They Didn't Make It Easy to Decide

Post by Chris Kelly »

I guess the Pioneer BDR-209 isn't too big to be used with the Other World Computing Mercury Pro because when checking out the dimensions of my Pioneer BDR-212UBK, it excedes the maximum dimensions from front to back which will fit in the Mercury Pro, making the Mercury Pro only physically useable with LGs. Yet the Mercury Pro's PDF manual claims USB 3.2, yet not the SATA version, and the website claims the Mercury Pro's power supply is rated at 3 Amps, accommidating the Pioneer's higher ripping speeds. The Vantec NST-536S3-BK will physically fit my Pioneer BDR-212UBK, yet the website mentions USB 3.0, limiting me to 5GBS as opposed to 6GBS, and its power supply is only rated at 2 Amps, making it more suitable for slower rips. Perfection would be something which the Pioneer BDR-212UBK would fit in, with USB 3.2, SATA III, and a power supply rated at 3 Amps. Unless there's an enclosure out there with the latest USB and SATA versions and a 3-Amp power supply, I guess it would make sense to just settle for three Vantec NST-536S3-BKs, being that my Pioneer BDR-212UBK will fit in it, and my LG WH16NS40 and WH16NS60 don't rip quite as fast as my Pioneer. It's just that the Vantec's USB 3.0 specs and 2-Amp power supply might be restricting my Pioneer's full potential.
Billycar11

Re: 5.25" Drive Enclosures with Support for Flashing

Post by Billycar11 »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:43 am
I understand that the Other World Mercury Pro will not fit Pioneer drives. Yet someone on Amazon claimed they used it with a Pioneer BDR-209. I have a Pioneer BDR-212UBK, as well as an LG WH16NS40 and LG WH16NS60. Are there any enclosures which have three 5.25" bays? How do the Other World Computing Mercury Pro and Vantec NST-536S3-BK compare as far as what version of SATA (I, II, or III) and USB (3.0, 3.1, or 3.2) do they include, as well as the DC voltage and current of their power supplies (12 Volts with under 3 Amps, 12 Volts with 3 Amps, or 12 Volts with higher than 3 Amps)? I think my LG WH16NS60 will be the fastest drive for 4K UHD ripping. However, for Blu-ray and DVD ripping, my Pioneer is noticibly faster than the LGs. For best performance, I'll want an enclosure which will include the latest versions of SATA and USB, as well as minimal voltage drops when the drive spins at high speeds, which a higher current rating of the included power supply should help keep under control.
no cases with 3 sata bays for 5.25 drives
the enclosures are likely sata 3/6Gbs because it uses same chip set that is use on ssd and hdd adapters and those can get 450+ MBs reads but this really does not matter the LG optical drives use sata 1 thats 1.5Gbs about 150MBs without error correcting you would be lucky to se 120MBs pioneers are probably the same not 100% on it though either way you never going to see that speed out if an optical drive even with the read speed unlock.
and then we get in the retarded new naming scheme of USB 3

so technically everything is 3.2 back to the 5Gb speed is now 3.2 and its now done by gens
3.2 gen 1 5Gb
3.2 gen 2 10Gb
3.2 gen 3 is 20Gb
but again this does not matter for discs they are slow you will never hit the 5Gb limit with a disc drive so dont worry about it.

now the power supply's for the owc vs vantec it does not really matter both work fine but heres a secret you can use any 12v 2.1mm? barrel plug with a higher amp rating if you think you need it or even each others they work same connector same voltage

there you go alot of info for basically it dont matter
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Chris Kelly

Here's how I made my decision.

Post by Chris Kelly »

I just checked the current ratings on my drives. The Pioneer is rated at 2.2 Amps, and the LGs at 2.0, making all my drives more efficient than I thought, even at full potential. I'll be able to get three of the Vantec enclosures, put my drives in them, maintain full potential, save some money, and not have to swap drives anymore.
Chris Kelly

How I Thought Drive Speeds and Data Transfer Rates Are Related

Post by Chris Kelly »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:35 am
Chris Kelly wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:43 am
no cases with 3 sata bays for 5.25 drives
the enclosures are likely sata 3/6Gbs because it uses same chip set that is use on ssd and hdd adapters and those can get 450+ MBs reads but this really does not matter the LG optical drives use sata 1 thats 1.5Gbs about 150MBs without error correcting you would be lucky to se 120MBs pioneers are probably the same not 100% on it though either way you never going to see that speed out if an optical drive even with the read speed unlock.
and then we get in the retarded new naming scheme of USB 3

so technically everything is 3.2 back to the 5Gb speed is now 3.2 and its now done by gens
3.2 gen 1 5Gb
3.2 gen 2 10Gb
3.2 gen 3 is 20Gb
but again this does not matter for discs they are slow you will never hit the 5Gb limit with a disc drive so dont worry about it.

now the power supply's for the owc vs vantec it does not really matter both work fine but heres a secret you can use any 12v 2.1mm? barrel plug with a higher amp rating if you think you need it or even each others they work same connector same voltage

there you go alot of info for basically it dont matter
I am fully aware that a drive's maximum speed is much lower than the speed of SATA and USB 3.x. However, I always thought that a drive's maximum speed for each disc type and format can only be reached at maximum data transfer rate between the drive and computer. And as far as the power supplies are concerned, being that the 2.0-Amp rating on the LGs and the 2.2-Amp rating on the Pioneer isn't much higher than the 2.0-Amp rating on the Vantec's power supply, I'm no longer concerned about a voltage drop serious enough to slow down the spinning of the drives or cause malfunctioning.
dcoke22

Re: 5.25" Drive Enclosures with Support for Flashing

Post by dcoke22 »

I have a Pioneer BDR-212UBK in a Vantec enclosure and I can report it works fine. The drive is able to achieve its maximum speeds. I have an LG & an ASUS drive in the OWC enclosures as well.

Vantec's FAQ for the enclosure has an entry about the power supply:
5. I have an optical drive that requires more power than what a normal optical drive uses, what can I do to make it work?

You just need to get a bigger ac adapter. Any bigger ac adapter for this enclosure MUST be 12VDC, but the current (Amp) can be from 3A to 5A is fine. Another important thing is the plug size. It is using a single-pin plug. See dimension below with a picture showing the plug size.
https://vantecusa.com/products_detail.p ... ures#tab-4
Chris Kelly

Breaking News

Post by Chris Kelly »

While I was on Vantec's site, just for the hell of it, I checked out their optical drive enclosures, and I stumbled upon the NST-540S3-BK, an updated version of the NST-536S3-BK, which addresses my preferences to install either my LGs or Pioneer, as well as data transfer speed and power ratings higher than what my drives are rated at to insure everything is performing at its maximum potential. I was able to cancel my three NST-536S3-BKs before they were delivered and get three NST-540S3-BKs. They do cost a little more, but I feel at ease now that I found the perfect 5.25" optical drive enclosure.
asmcom

Re: Breaking News

Post by asmcom »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:08 pm
While I was on Vantec's site, just for the hell of it, I checked out their optical drive enclosures, and I stumbled upon the NST-540S3-BK, an updated version of the NST-536S3-BK, which addresses my preferences to install either my LGs or Pioneer, as well as data transfer speed and power ratings higher than what my drives are rated at to insure everything is performing at its maximum potential. I was able to cancel my three NST-536S3-BKs before they were delivered and get three NST-540S3-BKs. They do cost a little more, but I feel at ease now that I found the perfect 5.25" optical drive enclosure.
Hi Chris,

I also have the Vantec DX2 enclosures. £38.00 each or £90.00 for 3. Discount period over on 1st 10 enclosures, now full list price as per eBay. 5% discount to MakeMKV customers.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387