Is my drive failing?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
ivwshane

Is my drive failing?

Post by ivwshane »

I’m not sure where to put this as my drive is not an UHD compatible drive and some would probably say it’s a media issue.

I’ve had my drive for a while now and it’s been excellent at backing up my Blu-ray’s, however recently I’ve been having a ton of trouble getting makemkv to finish the rip process. In the past when I had ripping issues I would clean the disc and that would solve the problem. That’s not working anymore.

Now I get status device data errors along with the medium errors.

Is this just bad luck on my part and I’ve got a few bad discs or is there more to this?

I have a liteon ihbs312. Are there any tools to check drives health?

Mods if there is a better forum to post in feel free to move.
Woodstock

Re: Is my drive failing?

Post by Woodstock »

Depends on the error sequence. Most likely, the drive is starving for power on long reads, where the speed can climb. You get errors about read failures, followed by device not available, then it starts working again.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ivwshane

Post by ivwshane »

That sounds about right, it’ll show a media issue followed by a system issue and then another read issue. So is there a fix? Can I slow down the read speed manually?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Some drives let you set the speed. When you open MakeMKV, it can tell you if your drive is capable of.

I've found that if you make MakeMKV write to a slow drive (such as a USB 2 device), that will keep the dive speed down.

The ultimate fix for this is to make sure the drive is "fully powered", which means putting it on one or more USB ports that can output the full rated power. If you have a two-head cable for it, plug both in to ports on the computer itself (if it's a desktop), or use a hub that has its own power supply.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ivwshane

Post by ivwshane »

I guess I should have specified; this is an internal drive.

***lol eternal