Help! I am new and having problems...

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
by96$

Help! I am new and having problems...

Post by by96$ »

Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to MakeMKV. I just started ripping UHD discs yesterday with a LG BU40N. The first seven discs went very well with no hiccups. But then I started having problems. I sent an e-mail to the support address with the event log and other request information, but also thought I would post my problem here and see if anyone has any ideas. I did a search and found one similar report, but that person replaced their drive, something I am hoping to avoid (since getting this one was a pain!).

While I don't understand all the errors I see, the problem line is that it seems MakeMKV stops seeing my drive during the ripping process. Once the ripping ends in error, the drive is no longer detected and I have to turn the computer off and on for it to be found again. In fact, the computer is basically useless until I start it back up again and many times, I have to manually turn it off. The main error I get is like this one:

Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00032.m2ts' at offset '324796416'

There is another error that I have seen, but can't recall exactly, but it is about an I/O device.

I have tried multiple discs, many of which are brand new. Since the problem started yesterday, I have only successfully ripped one disc, Schindler's List, but have failed on Captain America: Civil War, Parasite, Full Metal Jacket, and Man of Steel. I have tried cleaning discs, but again, several were brand new. But my first seven discs were all successful!!

As for my drive, I used the SDFtoolflasher to put on the 1.03 recommended firmware (it originally came with the encrypted 1.04). The exact firmware I installed was HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.01-NM00000-211810241934.bin.

Also, I am not sure in which thread I should post this. As it seems to be a problem with my drive, and not a particular disc, I chose this one, but please let me know if I should post it somewhere else.

Thank you for any help. Again, I already submitted an email to the support address, but just thought someone out there might have some suggestions. Happy holidays to everyone!
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(83.75 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
by96$

Re: Help! I am new and having problems...

Post by by96$ »

I forgot to mention, and don't know if it helps, but I have noticed that whenever the progress bar stops moving and the time remaining starts to count up and not down consistently, it is not going to work, but it still takes a while for error messages to appear.

I read somewhere that people have had success moving back to a prior version of MakeMKV. I am going to try that now while waiting for input.

Thanks again!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Your drive is turning off mid-rip, due to lack of voltage. USB-powered drives MUST be plugged in to a FULLY POWERED port, not an unpowered hub.

They will work at low speeds, but will turn off as the drive spins faster.

You may be able "fix" it by using speed control to limit the drive speed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
by96$

Post by by96$ »

Thank you for your reply. In this case, the drive is internal. Could there still be a loss of power somehow?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, it can be a power issue, even when internal. Less likely, but...

Check out the topic about MakeMKV drive speed control for more information about limiting the drive speed. I've found that, if you keep the drive speed down below 6X, the power issue usually doesn't happen.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
by96$

Post by by96$ »

Thank you! I reviewed the link and it makes sense. Which speed do you recommend for my drive? I was thinking the 0=8 setting for 2x to see if that works. Is there a better option? Thanks!
by96$

Post by by96$ »

As an update, using version 1.14.7 did not make any difference.

Moving back to 1.15.4, I changed the drive speed to 0=8 in the registry. I am trying to rip a disc and it is not working. Error codes just popped up:

Error 'OS error - The I/O device reported an I/O error' occurred while reading...

Also, just to make sure, when you edit the registry, do you only put the 0=8 part or do you put in the while line before that, the part with the "speed_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N..."?

I have attached the latest log.

UPDATE: Given that it seems the drive may not not getting enough power, and since I know nothing about PCs, I had originally installed the disc drive on the same power cable as the hard drive. I opened the computer up and changed the disc drive to its own power cord. I can't imagine this will make a difference, but at the moment, a movie is ripping without error so far.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(133.04 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
by96$

Post by by96$ »

In case anyone else encounters this issue in the future, I am now successfully ripping discs. As I was advised, I lowered the max speed to 16, but the big change seemed to come when I used a separate power cord for the disc drive instead of sharing one with the hard drive. As I said above, I really don't know much about building PCs, as this was my first one, but the drive is now getting enough power to complete the job.

Thank you to Woodstock for the help. I wouldn't have figured it out without your input about the power issue and drive speed.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

by96$ wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:53 am
In case anyone else encounters this issue in the future, I am now successfully ripping discs. As I was advised, I lowered the max speed to 16, but the big change seemed to come when I used a separate power cord for the disc drive instead of sharing one with the hard drive. As I said above, I really don't know much about building PCs, as this was my first one, but the drive is now getting enough power to complete the job.

Thank you to Woodstock for the help. I wouldn't have figured it out without your input about the power issue and drive speed.
Perhaps your PC's power supply is not up to the task. What wattage is it? What components are in your PC?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
by96$

Post by by96$ »

It is 650 Gold. When I built the computer, the build website recommended a 450 watt PSU, so I am thinking I am fine with 650.

It is all working 100% now ever since I used a separate power cable for the drive.

Thanks for your input!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

by96$ wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:35 pm
It is 650 Gold. When I built the computer, the build website recommended a 450 watt PSU, so I am thinking I am fine with 650.

It is all working 100% now ever since I used a separate power cable for the drive.

Thanks for your input!
Which would most likely mean the PSU was struggling with those devices on the same channel. Is it GOLD certified??

Basically, if you have a decent CPU & GPU, 1 or 2 optical drives and a couple of hard drives (or more), you should really have at least a 750W+ GOLD CPU.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
by96$

Post by by96$ »

It is Gold certified. At the moment, I have ripped 15+ movies without any further problems. I found a 800 Titanium that will fit in my case for a decent price on Amazon, so I went ahead and bought it. I will sell the 650 on eBay when the new one comes.

I am running an Intel i5, GTX 1660 Ti, one M2 SSD, one regular hard drive, and one optical drive.

Thanks!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

by96$ wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:12 pm
It is Gold certified. At the moment, I have ripped 15+ movies without any further problems. I found a 800 Titanium that will fit in my case for a decent price on Amazon, so I went ahead and bought it. I will sell the 650 on eBay when the new one comes.

I am running an Intel i5, GTX 1660 Ti, one M2 SSD, one regular hard drive, and one optical drive.

Thanks!
Cool. That should ensure you always have adequate power available if you ever add more or upgrade components.