Think I got the wrong drive WP50NB40

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
LetsTryThisOut

Think I got the wrong drive WP50NB40

Post by LetsTryThisOut »

Hiya.

I'm trying to get the highest quality rips possible. I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm interested in a small cluster of mass market discs that already exist, and I don't much care about future content (this isn't something I generally do and that won't be changing with time I believe.)

I bought the discs and I think I got the wrong drive, because it won't actually read any of the 4k UHD discs. For a while I was reading the "what if you can't read it" threads, only to realize that actually I think this drive (an unflashed LG WP50NB40) just doesn't do those discs in the first place.

Oops.

I also learned, in reading those threads, that I probably want an internal drive, and I may-or-may-not want LibreDrive (I'm honestly not sure.)

1. Could someone confirm that my current drive won't do for 4k and/or HDR discs please?

2. Can someone tell me what the best drive to get instead is, please? I do have one 5.25" internal bay left, if needed, but an external drive would be easier to move between machines.

Thanks
st4evr

Re: Think I got the wrong drive WP50NB40

Post by st4evr »

1. Pay attention to and take the time to read the guides/info posts/stickie posts across the forum, including the warnings noted within. They are there to try and answer these common questions and help avoid problems prior to taking such actions. We can’t stress this enough. Start here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

You will find recommendations there as well.

2. When you open/run MakeMKV it will display the drive’s information (e.g. firmware version, model number, etc). Post that info here to see if members can advise if it’s flash-able or not.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

LetsTryThisOut wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:29 pm
Hiya.

I'm trying to get the highest quality rips possible. I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm interested in a small cluster of mass market discs that already exist, and I don't much care about future content (this isn't something I generally do and that won't be changing with time I believe.)

I bought the discs and I think I got the wrong drive, because it won't actually read any of the 4k UHD discs. For a while I was reading the "what if you can't read it" threads, only to realize that actually I think this drive (an unflashed LG WP50NB40) just doesn't do those discs in the first place.

Oops.

I also learned, in reading those threads, that I probably want an internal drive, and I may-or-may-not want LibreDrive (I'm honestly not sure.)

1. Could someone confirm that my current drive won't do for 4k and/or HDR discs please?

2. Can someone tell me what the best drive to get instead is, please? I do have one 5.25" internal bay left, if needed, but an external drive would be easier to move between machines.

Thanks
It is flashable (well cross-flashable to BP60NB10 firmware) but why bother if you don't want an external drive? Can't you return it and get the internal drive you want?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
LetsTryThisOut

Post by LetsTryThisOut »

I can't return it until I know what I should get instead
LetsTryThisOut

Post by LetsTryThisOut »

Also I thought even with the flash this drive wouldn't do UHD?

I don't really understand this very well
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If you want an internal drive the ASUS BW-16D1HT is pretty good. If you don't want to mess with flashing, the UHD Drives Guide mentions several sellers that'll sell you one flashed, tested, and ready to go.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

LetsTryThisOut wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:01 pm
Also I thought even with the flash this drive wouldn't do UHD?

I don't really understand this very well
When cross-flashed to BP60NB10 firmware it can rip UHD.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com