What firmware for burning?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Wolf359

What firmware for burning?

Post by Wolf359 »

I have a WH16NS60 and was wondering if there is a firmware that will work with Cyberlink Media Suite to burn blu rays? Or is there a better program I should be using?
MartyMcNuts

Re: What firmware for burning?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Wolf359 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:34 am
I have a WH16NS60 and was wondering if there is a firmware that will work with Cyberlink Media Suite to burn blu rays? Or is there a better program I should be using?
Please don't use Cyberlink software. Absolute garbage.. Basically anything else would be better.

Is there a reason why you want to write to blu-ray discs? Hard drive storage is much cheaper these days and you could fit a bucket load of MKV files on a drive.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Wolf359

Post by Wolf359 »

Okay I agree, but humor me. Does anyone recommend any burning software? Surely someone does.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'm going to toss out the opinion that burning is not something UHD-friendly drives do particularly well, regardless of firmware or software.

Pioneer drives are well regarded for burning, but they're not UHD-friendly at this point.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Wolf359

Post by Wolf359 »

Okay. Thanks for the info. I sucessfully burned a disc using Imgburn and it plays on my XBONEX. Couldn't get it to play on a sony uhd player. Gonna try my other player now.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

The LG based players / recorders are OK for burning BD-25. If it comes to burn BD-50 they mostly screw up at the layer break. If you want to burn BD-50 you should do this with a Pioneer burner and Japanese Verbatim BD-50 discs. Reduce burn speed to 4x or even 2x. Otherwise disturbances at the layer break also occur for discs burnt with Pioneer drives.

The BD-50 spec sucks. For DVD-DL you could specify the layer break not being at the critical outer edge of the discs. So you could avoid this area. BD-50 will just burn to the end of layer 0 and then switch to layer 1. A catastrophe because most discs and burners have issues at the outer edge of the layer.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

And Imgburn freeware is the best software for burning.
Wolf359

Post by Wolf359 »

I do have a pioneer burner and am using verbatim discs. Are they all made in Japan or should I get certain ones?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Run this through Google translator German -> English.
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/uhd-fil ... scs.77673/
Wolf359

Post by Wolf359 »

Thanks @coopervid!
Is there a pioneer drive that is good for burning bdxl discs? I see the pioneer website has at least one.
Wolf359

Post by Wolf359 »

Just a quick question on burning: I read that the drive I have (WH16NS60) Has problems burning dual layer discs. I have burned several with no errors but have yet to watch one all the way through (TV Show discs where I watched one episode with no problems). If it doesn't burn correctly will it just not play? Or will the break in layers be obvious on playback or will I get errors on burning or what? I have a 100 gb three layer disc burning now and will watch it carefully later (movie this time), but want to know what to expect and look for. Thanks.