Dune Part Two 4K UHD - Another disc failure, faulty drive, or a different issue?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Roscoe62

Dune Part Two 4K UHD - Another disc failure, faulty drive, or a different issue?

Post by Roscoe62 »

Hi, a few months ago I purchased this movie on 4K UHD disk from a local retailer. When I tried to use MakeMKV to rip it, I got a message saying it couldn't be decrypted. I figured it was a keys issue so I waited. A few weeks later I tried to rip it again, but this time I could hear the drive spin up and try to read the disc, but it failed. It tried this 3-4 times and then MakeMKV said there was no disc in the drive. I tried this several times but to no avail, so I figured maybe I had a faulty disc (please note that each time I try to rip a 4K disc I always clean the disc first).

I got a replacement disc from my local retailer and tried again....same result. Finally, I ordered it from amazon, and it arrived late last week - same thing happened again.

I know it IS possible that I got 3 faulty disks - from 2 different retailers - but it makes sense for me to try to rule other things out first, so I'm wondering whether my UHD friendly disc drive is starting to go bad. I'm currently using an LG BP50NB40 (cross-flashed to enable UHD readability - BU40N 1.00). I purchased this disk drive already cross-flashed about 8 months ago, and it's been pretty reliable. However, I have had issues reliably ripping a few 4K movies lately (over the last 2-3 months) so I'm now wondering whether the LG is starting to fail.

I'm really scratching my head about how to find where the issue is occurring. I'd appreciate any ideas as to where to go from here. Thanks in advance!
MartyMcNuts

Re: Dune Part Two 4K UHD - Another disc failure, faulty drive, or a different issue?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Roscoe62 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:26 am
Hi, a few months ago I purchased this movie on 4K UHD disk from a local retailer. When I tried to use MakeMKV to rip it, I got a message saying it couldn't be decrypted. I figured it was a keys issue so I waited. A few weeks later I tried to rip it again, but this time I could hear the drive spin up and try to read the disc, but it failed. It tried this 3-4 times and then MakeMKV said there was no disc in the drive. I tried this several times but to no avail, so I figured maybe I had a faulty disc (please note that each time I try to rip a 4K disc I always clean the disc first).

I got a replacement disc from my local retailer and tried again....same result. Finally, I ordered it from amazon, and it arrived late last week - same thing happened again.

I know it IS possible that I got 3 faulty disks - from 2 different retailers - but it makes sense for me to try to rule other things out first, so I'm wondering whether my UHD friendly disc drive is starting to go bad. I'm currently using an LG BP50NB40 (cross-flashed to enable UHD readability - BU40N 1.00). I purchased this disk drive already cross-flashed about 8 months ago, and it's been pretty reliable. However, I have had issues reliably ripping a few 4K movies lately (over the last 2-3 months) so I'm now wondering whether the LG is starting to fail.

I'm really scratching my head about how to find where the issue is occurring. I'd appreciate any ideas as to where to go from here. Thanks in advance!
Unplug the drive and leave it for a few minutes before connecting it back up and trying again. Have you tried re-testing a UHD that you know has worked before?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
Roscoe62

Re: Dune Part Two 4K UHD - Another disc failure, faulty drive, or a different issue?

Post by Roscoe62 »

Thanks Marty for jumping in. I tried both your tests this morning - here's what I found.

First, I unplugged the drive from my PC for a couple of minutes, and then plugged it back in. I did this by unplugging the plug at the drive end, as getting behind the PC to access the other end is a bit tricky.

Once I plugged the drive back in, I loaded the Dune Part Two disk. By default PowerDVD starts up (I need to change that at some point). I shut down PowerDVD and fire up MakeMKV. It went through the motions of reading the disc, and then presented me with the 'loaded disc' icon. I then pressed that, and the disc was read in more detail, and finally I was presented with a list of titles to choose from. At this point I thought it was going to work because previously, I hadn't even gotten this far. I chose the titles I wanted and then MakeMKV started doing its thing....for a few seconds. Then I heard the windows sound that indicates something (USB?) has been disconnected, PowerDVD started up again, and MakeMKV failed.

Then I shut down MakeMKV, and tried with a 4K disc that had worked previously - a similar thing happened - I got the USB disconnect sound - this time followed quickly by the USB reconnect sound, PowerDVD started up again, and the MakeMKV rip failed - this time displaying a "Error - This device does not exist" message in the log.

I tried it another few times and got similar results - similar errors, but at different times during the process.

So, with your helpful suggestions, it sounds to me like, for some reason, the drive is briefly disconnecting from my PC, and when that happens - even momentarily - it's enough to "break" any attempt to rip the disk. The LG uses 2 USB plugs to connect to my PC (is the second USB connector solely to increase power to the drive?), and I'm not sure whether the fault is occurring at the PC end, or the drive end, but it's sounding like THAT is where the problem is occurring.

I think the next step might be to unplug the drive from the PC end (so, the 2 USB plugs), and try to plug them in - temporarily at least - to the 2 front USB ports to see if that addresses the problem. I'll report back when this has been done - hopefully it's just a bad (loose?) USB port at the back of my PC, and not a faulty cable.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Roscoe62 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:48 pm
Thanks Marty for jumping in. I tried both your tests this morning - here's what I found.

First, I unplugged the drive from my PC for a couple of minutes, and then plugged it back in. I did this by unplugging the plug at the drive end, as getting behind the PC to access the other end is a bit tricky.

Once I plugged the drive back in, I loaded the Dune Part Two disk. By default PowerDVD starts up (I need to change that at some point). I shut down PowerDVD and fire up MakeMKV. It went through the motions of reading the disc, and then presented me with the 'loaded disc' icon. I then pressed that, and the disc was read in more detail, and finally I was presented with a list of titles to choose from. At this point I thought it was going to work because previously, I hadn't even gotten this far. I chose the titles I wanted and then MakeMKV started doing its thing....for a few seconds. Then I heard the windows sound that indicates something (USB?) has been disconnected, PowerDVD started up again, and MakeMKV failed.

Then I shut down MakeMKV, and tried with a 4K disc that had worked previously - a similar thing happened - I got the USB disconnect sound - this time followed quickly by the USB reconnect sound, PowerDVD started up again, and the MakeMKV rip failed - this time displaying a "Error - This device does not exist" message in the log.

I tried it another few times and got similar results - similar errors, but at different times during the process.

So, with your helpful suggestions, it sounds to me like, for some reason, the drive is briefly disconnecting from my PC, and when that happens - even momentarily - it's enough to "break" any attempt to rip the disk. The LG uses 2 USB plugs to connect to my PC (is the second USB connector solely to increase power to the drive?), and I'm not sure whether the fault is occurring at the PC end, or the drive end, but it's sounding like THAT is where the problem is occurring.

I think the next step might be to unplug the drive from the PC end (so, the 2 USB plugs), and try to plug them in - temporarily at least - to the 2 front USB ports to see if that addresses the problem. I'll report back when this has been done - hopefully it's just a bad (loose?) USB port at the back of my PC, and not a faulty cable.
Yep, it's definately losing connection for a few seconds. That cable should be used with USB 3+ (3.0, 3.1, 3.2) ports so that it gets enough constant power. USB-C or a powered USB hub would be even better! I believe that cable has 1 x USB 3 plug and 1 x USB 2 plug. Yes, one of them is solely for power, the other is for data.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
Roscoe62

Post by Roscoe62 »

Just checked back in and....we have a winner!

I've managed to successfully rip Dune Part Two with the drive connected to the 2 FRONT USB ports.

I'm going to have to think about how to handle this going forward, but it's such a relief that neither the disc, nor the drive, were at fault here.

Thanks for your help!