James Cameron UHDs

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
JuddSandage

James Cameron UHDs

Post by JuddSandage »

Ok, there is a thread already for The Abyss, and someone talked about Aliens in there as well, but I while have yet to receive it, I did get The Abyss and True Lies, both UHD discs refuse to fully rip, I have also tried full disc rips of both with AnyDVD HD but both error out as well, I should be getting Aliens today so I will see how that goes. drives used WH16NS40, BW-16D1HT and a BE16NU50

The Abyss - Errored out for both versions

True Lies - Errored out while ripping

I might even try playing them on my UHD player and see if they also error out, I tried to get a replacement disc from amazon, but they are out of stock so just a refund.
Last edited by JuddSandage on Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drives: WH16NS40x2, BW-16D1HT, BE16NU50.
Powerkey

Re: James Camron UHDs

Post by Powerkey »

Just received Aliens 4K today from Amazon and I can't do anything with it due to read errors. Tried both backups and a direct rip of both versions, but no luck. I tried cleaning the disc but I am still getting read errors and I don't have a player to test it. Such a let down.

UHD Drive is a new LG WH16NS40 (WH16NS60 1.02 firmware).

The UHD disc is stacked on top of the Special Features disc and if there is any dust between the discs, then there are going to be radial scratches. :x

True Lies arrives tomorrow.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

For me:

The Abyss: Read errors, waiting on replacement
True Lies: No issues with my Pioneer
Aliens: No issues with my Pioneer

So many are having issues. It's ridiculous.
JuddSandage

Post by JuddSandage »

ok, got Aliens, and yes errored out while trying to rip the UHD, going to try AnyDVD full disc rip and see if that does it.

I did try again on True Lies with a secure rip with AnyDVD and it finally worked, was able to successfully rip the movie using the resulting .iso, going to try and watch it on a normal blu-ray player and see if playback has issues, if so its going back.

is this a new type of anti-copy do you think, with all these people having issues with ripping them?
JuddSandage

Post by JuddSandage »

Ok Aliens received, tried MakeMKV rip of just the TE and DE, failed like the others, tried AnyDVD HD secure rip, also failed, will try another drive and see if that works otherwise I am 0 for 3 on working UHD discs.

The Abyss: failed, awaiting going back to Amazon, new one coming from Wallyworld.
True Lies: failed, awaiting swap from Amazon.
Aliens: Failed, awaiting swap from Amazon.
John7

Re: James Cameron UHDs

Post by John7 »

Check my post on The Abyss Forum re: the stacked disk issue - I fixed it...
jtscribe

Post by jtscribe »

Same issues with Aliens on all 3 of my drives. Replacement should be arriving today.

Abyss and True Lies were okay, though. Introduced my son to True Lies the other night, and it looked fantastic. Nice to get that ragged-looking DVD off my shelf. :D
rdgrimes

Post by rdgrimes »

FWIW I received 2 defective Aliens discs from Amazon. True Lies had no issues.
Powerkey

Post by Powerkey »

True Lies arrived and the backup worked fine.

Unfortunately, the dovi tools seem to be having an issue with the file, but that's a different thread.

Edit: Weird. Same ripped file, tools and procedure worked fine the second time with dovi 7 to 8 conversion.

I know what we are watching tomorrow night! :D
Last edited by Powerkey on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
JuddSandage

Post by JuddSandage »

just as an update.

True Lies: able to rip full disc in AnyDVD, just not individual files or movies from it, tried to play back in my Sony UHD Player, hard locked during the credits, needed to power cycle just to eject the disc.

Aliens: Unable to rip on any drive, Player locked about an hour in, though not a hard lock.

The Abyss: Unable to rip on any drive, Player locked about an hour in, though not a hard lock.
snerfu

Post by snerfu »

Somehow, time heals all wounds.

Aliens: The only UHD disc I couldn't rip, I tried it on Tuesday when it came in the mail and it wouldn't rip twice. Then wouldn't rip a third time after I gave a thorough microfober cleaning on the disc. I put it away and decided to try it again without any further fussing with cleaning and it ripped just fine.

True Lies: Worked right off the bat on Tuesday.
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

I tried to rip Aliens too.

I watched the movie on my UHD Panasonic player without any issues.

First copy I've receive this week, I couldn't rip the special edition at all. There was hardware messages. I've ask a replacement which I receive earlier and I can extract around 30 GB of the special edition. That time, I don't get hardware errors but MakeMKV just tell me there was a problem. After clicking ok, the icon of the disk is empty, like there is no disk inserted? I open the tray, close it with the same disk, it load and I have to redo every step until it repeat the same error?

I could rip other 4Ks without any problem so it's not the drive and all the disks are brand new, cleaned before ripping them.

Very odd.
maintainin

Post by maintainin »

Sucks so many people are having issues with these Cameron disks. I must be one of the lucky ones. I successfully ripped the special edition or whatever it's called from the Aliens 4K Ultimate Collectors Edition disk with no issues. I haven't tried any other Cameron movies. I'm guessing this probably doesn't make a difference, but was bought off Amazon.

Using a BD-RE WH16NS60 with version 1.02. Thing has been rock solid. I probably just tested the Gods.

It's been a while and can't remember which movie it was, but I remember having to return a disk 3 times once before I got one that would successfully rip. I think it was Avengers: Endgame but not 100% sure. Maybe someone with a lot more knowledge can chime in, but I think they just press copies of disks sometimes that these drives just don't like. It's odd though how they will play back fine.
eng050599

Post by eng050599 »

Now on my third Aliens disc, and still no rip is possible.

My copy of the Abyss arrived today, and I'm testing it out.

This is getting to a point where my returns are going to be rejected, as even I think it's suspicious.
G.P.L.

Post by G.P.L. »

These mass returns of UHD releases aren't exactly going to encourage Amazon, or any other seller, to stock future releases.

The major studios are shooting themselves in the foot with their poor quality control.

In fact, Amazon has already been getting slower over the last several years.

They also don't even get stock for box sets of other physical media (e.g. CD box sets).

I've pre-ordered releases months in advance, and they don't even have stock on the day of release.

And, no, it's not because there were too many pre-orders.

Amazon can easily adjust their orders accordingly.

Who is going to say 'no' to Amazon requesting stock?