The Abyss 4K

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
EventDriven

Re: The Abyss 4K

Post by EventDriven »

Just as a data point, I successfully did a full disc backup without decryption using an Asus BW-16D1H-U and then ripped both the theatrical and special editions from the backup without issue.
aggie113

Post by aggie113 »

DavJen wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:11 pm
I was able to rip The Abyss Special Edition playlist but Aliens I can't rip on either of my drives.
Odd, couldn't rip either my Aliens or Abyss UHD disks... (ASUS 16D1HT)
mainecooncat1

Post by mainecooncat1 »

I'm using a WH16NS60 drive and trying to do a full disc backup. Just about 50% through the backup, it has already produced a number of errors. I cleaned the disc, but I did not notice a short circular scratch near the outer edge of the disc.

Code: Select all

Backing up disc into folder "E:/THE_ABYSS"
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00700.m2ts' at offset '278986752'
Failed to save title /BDMV/STREAM/00700.m2ts to file E:/THE_ABYSS/BDMV/STREAM/00700.m2ts
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00701.m2ts' at offset '129024'
Failed to save title /BDMV/STREAM/00701.m2ts to file E:/THE_ABYSS/BDMV/STREAM/00701.m2ts
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00696.m2ts' at offset '4386816'
Failed to save title /BDMV/STREAM/00696.m2ts to file E:/THE_ABYSS/BDMV/STREAM/00696.m2ts
Error 'Scsi error - NOT READY:LOGICAL UNIT IS IN PROCESS OF BECOMING READY' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00707.m2ts' at offset '2360604672'
Failed to save title /BDMV/STREAM/00707.m2ts to file E:/THE_ABYSS/BDMV/STREAM/00707.m2ts
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00695.m2ts' at offset '3038244864'
Failed to save title /BDMV/STREAM/00695.m2ts to file E:/THE_ABYSS/BDMV/STREAM/00695.m2ts
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00698.m2ts' at offset '0'
Failed to save title /BDMV/STREAM/00698.m2ts to file E:/THE_ABYSS/BDMV/STREAM/00698.m2ts

When I tried to extract the two versions to a MKV, I got a bunch of AV sync issues before it failed about 29 minutes into the extraction.

AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:23:31.367 with duration of 0.833ms : 1 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to -0.791ms
AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:28:58.862 with duration of 26.166ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +49.875ms
AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:28:58.912 with duration of 32ms : 1 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to +17.875ms
AV sync issue in stream 5 at 0:28:58.833 with duration of 46.333ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +78.33ms
AV sync issue in stream 5 at 0:28:58.912 with duration of 64ms : 2 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to +14.33ms
AV sync issue in stream 3,4 at 0:28:58.862 with duration of 4.833ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +7.208ms
Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (140)' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00695.m2ts' at offset '3034411008'
Error 'Internal error - Operation was cancelled (140)' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00695.m2ts' at offset '3034411008'
Failed to save title 24 to file E://THE ABYSS-FPL_MainFeature_t24.mkv
Encountered 1 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/
0 titles saved, 2 failed
Really thinking that there's a manufacturing problem with the 4K UHD disc.
jevans6964

Post by jevans6964 »

Same problem ripping my disc as well. Pre-order from WalMart and the catalog number on the spine is 243897. There is a circular scratch ( 10-12mm long ) on my disc towards the outside of the disc, about 2/3rds of the way to the right of the second hub bar code. I used to work in the industry and it looks like a stamper scratch that is there before the " Durabis " coating is applied. The Theatrical rips fine but there is an error when ripping the 00727.m2ts stream. Haven't tried to play in my player, but I suspect it will play fine. Since so many folks are having the same issue, I bet A LOT of them were produced like that... bad stamper or machine scratch when picking the disc from the metalizer to be coated. I'm going to rip the individual streams and put them together with 00726 from the Theatrical for now. It will be missing about 4 minutes of footage.
docbrizee

Post by docbrizee »

Same story here. My Walmart preorder would not rip (theatrical or extended). I watched it on a player, but it froze up in two spots. bummer.
rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

Received my preorder from DiabolikDVD today. Ripped both the extended & theatrical versions with no errors other than a few audio skew issues typical of seamless branching titles in my experience (drops a couple audio frames to maintain sync). Using MakeMKV 1.17.6 on MacOS with a Pioneer UBR-S13U drive via USB.

No widespread reports of players issues either on blu-ray.com. Unfortunate some folks are having trouble but I doubt there is a systemic release-wide disc authoring/manufacturing problem. Maybe a bad batch?
djwudi

Post by djwudi »

I'm both glad and sad to see others having the same problem as I am — at least it's not just me!

I was able to pull the Theatrical release from the 4K disc, but the Special Edition has been failing (for me it's in 00716.m2ts) after repeated tries. Definitely frustrating, but hopefully the HD version will rip fine. My 4K disk also looks to have a light, circular flaw near the outer rim. I'm considering ordering another copy and hoping that with the current stock delays, when it finally arrives it'll come from a different batch and be rippable.

Amazon pre-order
Spine #243897
macOS
MakeMKV v1.17.6 darwin(arm64-release)
BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 KLCK15F3111d
LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=0FA242DD4D0B)
ratneuron

Post by ratneuron »

Also having trouble ripping my copy which was ordered from Amazon.
robert.gregory

Post by robert.gregory »

I purchased mine from Target. Same here, circular scratches.

But, look at it this way, the HD version rips fine, and whilst there is the expectation that the 4k UHD should work flawlessly as well, I (like millions of others) have been waiting years to get this onto blu-ray let alone 4k, and now it's here. I am happy as a clam (what does that even mean "happy as a clam"?) to have the HD version :)

I will gladly get another copy at some point, when another batch proves good, and get the 4k then.

Update:

I had purchased my copy of the abyss 4k @ target online. Policy on defective movies, exchange for same item only, no refunds. I am good with that. But wait, there's more! read on...

As I go through the process online for "return for exchange" I was prompted with two choices, 1. Exchange, or 2. Refund(??) Hmmm :o , well the "exchange" option was greyed out, Why? item unavailable! So, the ONLY option was refund! :D! But wait! There's more...

During the beginning of the return process, there was a message that read, we will provide you a shipping label for your return. OK. Where is it? I never received any shipping label by email. All I have is a barcode which was presented to me, to show customer service in-store. That's funny, I looked at the return receipt this morning, and it clearly states "The following item isn't eligible for an in-store return.", and... wait for it! I also have a message associated with the return that reads "Refund approved on Mar 17, 2024." AND "Refund issued on Mar 17, 2024. We’ve approved your refund. Depending on your card issuer, the credit should appear within 5 days to your original form(s) of payment."

I will update you on whether or not I was actually issued a refund on my card.

1. I sit here with said-ganked copy of The Abyss 4k in hand, with circular scratches. Unplayable...
2. I was never issued a return label, so how can I return it. They (Target) did not even provide a return address.
3. I am left with the impression I will simply get a refund back on the card. ok. puzzling.

But what's more of a head-scratcher to me is, maybe there was a huge mistake in manufacturing, as many have indicated on this forum. The fact that a few were able to rip it, ok, great. you either got super-duper-pooper-scooper rippers, or insanely lucky. The fact that Target abandoned it's return policy (maybe, just in this case) is odd, but could attest to the popularity of the cries to acquire the abyss (and other Cameron titles) and they are sold out, OR, the manufacturer really did screw up. Somewhere I read this disc is a 3-layer, to which not many players do well with it - is this a valid rumor, dunno.

Target is out, Best Buy, is out, Amazon is out (used copy available @ $122.00) -

At any rate, glad to share the story. Maybe not fit for this forum, but sharing anyway.

and so it goes...
eng050599

Post by eng050599 »

I've got a similar issue with the 4K Aliens disc, with the same apparent manufacturing defect. Title 0 fails to rip, and I tried it with both the Asus BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55 drives.

Given the number of reports, it looks like there's a systemic issue with some batches of multiple titles.
outlier

Post by outlier »

I didn't have any problems with The Abyss, True Lies, or Aliens, but I can see how some of them can be problematic because the 4K disc is stacked on top of the bonus disc and that invites circular scratches.

As for Target, for me it's almost always the case that reporting a movie as defective results in a refund with no need to return the damaged product.
organicguy

Post by organicguy »

jmos1277 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:19 pm
I successfully ripped the 4k version of the Special Edition. However, there are some small circular scratches on my disc that are preventing me ripping the Theatrical Release. I also attempted to do a full disc backup but was unable to read a single file: BDMV/STREAM/00726.m2ts.

Disc Info: pre-order from Amazon
Drive Info: LG BU40N
I have this exact issue. Special edition ripped fine, but I have the same error on the same file (00726.m2ts). If you look at the track listings, you can find that there is one video track that you can select separate from the actual releases with the same number. I lightly cleaned my disc and then tried again, but just using that track (I didn't want to wait until the very end of a long rip process to see if it failed or not), and it still fails.

In my case the disc is from a Best Buy online order, and my drive is an LG BE16NU50.

Since it's sold out everywhere, I was thinking of contacting the disc manufacturer directly to get a replacement 4k.

I can't understand why for both The Abyss and Aliens, they mounted the 4K discs on top of the blu-ray special features discs in the case...that was a poor design decision IMHO. They shouldn't have cheapened out so much on the packaging, but in doing so they could have at least put the 4K disc by itself, with the blu-ray disc superimposed over the special features disc.
robert.gregory

Post by robert.gregory »

typically two discs, one over the other, is generally ok, but so many have complained.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'm still waiting for my replacement but it would seem as of an hour ago when I checked Walmart has it in stock online.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Bah, mine is failing to rip as well. Purchased at Amazon. I did soap and water, no help. I can see some circular scratches on mine. :(