The Abyss 4K

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
CalicoSkies

Re: The Abyss 4K

Post by CalicoSkies »

I originally bought The Abyss 4K from Amazon, which arrived last week. I was able to rip the theatrical 4K version, but the extended version failed to rip at about 14 minutes short of the full movie. I returned that one to Amazon and bought one from Wal Mart online, which arrived today. The Wal Mart disc is worse than the Amazon one, as neither movie will successfully rip.. I've tried cleaning the bottom of this disc with soap and water and drying, but it still failed. I'm going to return this one to Wal Mart and will probably wait a bit to see if they release a better disc at some point when more places have this in stock again.

My drive is a LG WH16NS40. I've heard Pioneer drives have more success, but with 2 discs failing at different places, I'm not totally confident it's my drive. I've been able to rip most other discs without a problem.
Mozey

Post by Mozey »

Mozey wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:07 pm
I have been using a ASUS 16D1HT and a LG WH16NS40 with the Amazon version with zero success on The Abyss.
However, I was able to rip both True Lies and Aliens on the first try with the Asus.

I have a new WalMart disc arriving today, along with a BDR-13U-X from Billy. I'll try my Amazon copy first, and then the WM and report back.
Quick update.

I tried the Amazon disc in my BDR-13U-X, it failed. I'm also noticing a lot more circular scratches on the disc after so many attempts at ripping in the Asus and LG drives.

Next I tried the fresh WalMart disc, which thankfully wasn't loose in the case this time. The WalMart disc ripped the Special Edition on the first try with the BDR-13u-X, finally this is done!

I attempted to put the WalMart disc in the Asus and LG drives, but after a few spin-ups and spin-downs I ejected it just to preserve the disc.
midnighwatcher

Post by midnighwatcher »

FINALLY received my Abyss 4K from Amazon Canada today. Proceeded to rip and .... error. Tried to rip with my second drive and .... error. Checked the disc in better light and sure enough, a few tiny concentric scratches. QC control is severely lacking. So disappointing. Trying to do a full backup now but suspect it'll crap out soon.

Anybody know where to download the full 4K rip of the director's cut?
argo44

Post by argo44 »

I returned my one disc to Amazon and got a new one from Walmart today. Sped through the rip really fast until the end....then it failed...of course. I have a feeling the disc is not bad and that I just have an Asus drive that doesn't like the 3 layers. That's my guess at this point but I don't know for sure. Trying second rip now. Really need someone to share the MKVs somehow. I refuse to buy a new drive for this obviously, but it would be great to have the MKV rip. This is only for special edition version which is the only one i'm interested in.

EDIT: To expand a bit. I believe my first disc WAS a bad disc given the issue I had about 1/4 of the way into the disc and same place every time. This feels more like it might be my Asus drive as I've read it has had issues with 3 layer discs. That said, my whole collection was ripped with maybe one of the discs out of a lot not working.
argo44

Post by argo44 »

So after the failure I cleaned a bit using only micro fiber cloth. Not very intense cleaning and the next rip worked. Who knows!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

My replacement disc is FINALLY out for delivery. Here's hoping I actually get to watch this movie.
CalicoSkies

Post by CalicoSkies »

I've tried buying 2 copies so far (one from Amazon and one from Wal Mart online) and both failed in different spots. I'm not sure if I should try ordering another one or waiting a bit.. I do eventually want to own this movie. Many stores seem to be out of stock on it right now though, and other places/sellers are trying to sell it for a fairly high price. It looks like Wal Mart still has it and is the cheapest I've seen it right now at $27.99 - but they add $8 or something for shipping unless you buy something else to be at the minimum purchase amount for free shipping.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'm ripping my replacement direct out of the box and into my S13 Pio drive. I really hope it gets through this rip.

EDIT: Finally. I've now ripped it successfully.
midnighwatcher

Post by midnighwatcher »

Received my replacement today. Second disc has scratches also and will not rip.
midnighwatcher

Post by midnighwatcher »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:27 pm
I'm ripping my replacement direct out of the box and into my S13 Pio drive. I really hope it gets through this rip.

How many GB was the rip (extended cut)?
argo44

Post by argo44 »

midnighwatcher wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:28 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:27 pm

How many GB was the rip (extended cut)?
It's 63GB on Windows NTFS.
mainecooncat1

Post by mainecooncat1 »

I bought a Pioneer BDR-S13UBK and can now read/backup all of the 4k Abyss disc except for 00700.m2ts, 00701.2ts, and 00726.m2ts (see log below).

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00700.m2ts' at offset '290451456'
Failed to save title /BDMV/STREAM/00700.m2ts to file E:/THE_ABYSS/BDMV/STREAM/00700.m2ts
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:441E' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00701.m2ts' at offset '129024'
Failed to save title /BDMV/STREAM/00701.m2ts to file E:/THE_ABYSS/BDMV/STREAM/00701.m2ts
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:POSITIONING ERROR DETECTED BY READ OF MEDIUM' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00726.m2ts' at offset '2978863104'
Failed to save title /BDMV/STREAM/00726.m2ts to file E:/THE_ABYSS/BDMV/STREAM/00726.m2ts
Encountered 20 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/
Backup done but 3 files failed hash check
Multiple attempts at cleaning the disc won't produce a version of these three m2ts files that doesn't have hash check errors. I'll probably just return it to Amazon as they aren't offering replacements and look to buy a copy when then become available again. Really a shame that they stacked the 4k disc on top of the extras disc and screwed up what could have been such a great release for so many people.
CalicoSkies

Post by CalicoSkies »

Is there a chance they could release a new version of The Abyss 4K that wouldn't have these issues? It sounds like it would probably be better for the case to be one where each disc could attach by itself and not be stacked on top of another disc. I've bought and returned 2 so far where I had problems ripping the 4K disc, and now I feel like I want to wait and see if there's a new batch or a new release that is better.
robert.gregory

Post by robert.gregory »

We all want the 4k version, right? Well, maybe some rip it, some don't.

As for me, I am perfectly happy to have the 1920 x 1080 (HD) in hand. Rips great, both versions... Upscales beautifully
saf001

Post by saf001 »

Received my disc yesterday. Ultimate collector edition(?). Anyway the first file, theatrical version, completed but had several AV sync issues in stream errors. Because of this I did not try to play it yet. Second file, extended or special, failed. In this case a lot of Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR L-EC UNCORRECTAABLE or STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR. No idea.

Had a similar AV sync issue earlier in the week when my Witness 4k UHD disc arrived. Backup worked fine but creating the .mkv file to move into my Plex collection didn't. Other discs are working fine oddly enough so I don't think it is my blu ray drive although I could be wrong.