Unknown Issue with Oppenheimer

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
BoneDaddy

Unknown Issue with Oppenheimer

Post by BoneDaddy »

I just purchased OWC Mercury Pro enclosure and an Asus BW-16D1HT that has 3.10 FW. I've had these for about 2 weeks and have had no issues until today. I just completed ripping Fast X with no issues. But now with Oppenheimer it will start ripping and get to about 33% done then it will just fail. Sometimes the drive disappears and most of the time I get a grinding noise every second or so. This is on Windows 10.

Any Idea's?

Thank You
Billycar11

Re: Unknown Issue with Oppenheimer

Post by Billycar11 »

clean the disc
replace the disc

get a pioneer with old fw from me or a seller in your region.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
BoneDaddy

Post by BoneDaddy »

Thanks, did try cleaning. That was one of the first things I tried. I needed to say that I attempted this several times with the rip. Each time it was at a different time. First time was at about 80% complete, then at about 65% now at 33%. After trying these I put in a BD disc and it ripped fine and good. No issues. I may try replacing the disk. On the first and second tries the drive had completely disappeared from my PC. I had to turn off the OWV enclosure and then it returned.
charnathan

Post by charnathan »

Oppenheimer is a triple layer 100 GB UHD disc.

Triple layer discs are known to be extremely finicky with any drive that is "UHD Friendly" because of the "sleep bug" issue. This is where, the disc doesn't register and the drive goes to sleep.

The whole "clean the disc, replace the disc, get a more expensive UDH friendly drive" are mostly cop outs. I would recommend getting a second drive for triple layer discs that are UHD official drives. If the UHD official drive still can't read it, then you should try the cleaning and replace disc methods.

I ended up getting a LG BU40N-SLIM, to process triple layer discs, from Alex (aka jonghotti here).
BoneDaddy

Post by BoneDaddy »

Thank You for the reply. I did try a rip at one X speed still failed, and I assume it is at the third layer (61GB). I ripped an additional disc no problems. I did have an LG 16NS60 that just died about 6 months ago, and that one was doing everything until then. Thanks for the advice and I will look at another Drive.
charnathan

Post by charnathan »

Only other thing I could think of to try before purchasing a UHD official drive is to see if you're getting the same issue when it's put into a desktop using internal sata connectors.

It may just be not enough power is being delivered to the drive, or it's intermittently cutting power, during the ripping process since you're using an external enclosure.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Almost always power issues come from a drive being powered by the USB port. The OWC Mercury Pro enclosure is a good one that has its own power supply. Unless that power supply is faulty, I think it is very unlikely to be a power related problem.

Triple layer UHDs can often be finicky. I don't think the difficulties of reading triple layer discs has anything to do with the 'sleep bug' or wether the drive is 'official' or merely 'UHD friendly'.

Having multiple optical drives can greatly increase the odds of getting a clean rip. I happen to have 4 optical drives and some discs just don't seem to work in some optical drives. The same disc in a different drive will often (though not always) produce different results. In my case, when a disc doesn't work in my 'main' drive, usually one of my other drives can read it. I have an Asus BW-16D1HT, a LG WH16NS60, and two Pioneers. Often when the LG or the ASUS have trouble with a disc, one of the Pioneers can read it.
BoneDaddy

Post by BoneDaddy »

I just wanted to do a follow-up. After many tries of ripping from the disc, changing speeds, cleaning multiple times. I did find a solution to my problem. I wanted to try to make an ISO of the disc, then I remembered I had no ability to circumvent the encryption. I had AnyDVD years ago before they moved from one location and I lost my license (it was a lifetime license) however I no longer have it. So I through that out, and decided to try making a backup of the disc using MakeMKV. It copied the disc completely with no issues, then I did a rip of the backup. This worked great. I play about the first 10 minutes of the movie with no issues (I don't expect any, because everything copied fine). It does take longer to do two processes whoever the Rip of the backup only took 12 minutes. I'm good with this for now however, I will look at getting another drive soon so I can rip two at a time.

Thanks for the help!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

BoneDaddy wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:55 am
I just wanted to do a follow-up. After many tries of ripping from the disc, changing speeds, cleaning multiple times. I did find a solution to my problem. I wanted to try to make an ISO of the disc, then I remembered I had no ability to circumvent the encryption. I had AnyDVD years ago before they moved from one location and I lost my license (it was a lifetime license) however I no longer have it. So I through that out, and decided to try making a backup of the disc using MakeMKV. It copied the disc completely with no issues, then I did a rip of the backup. This worked great. I play about the first 10 minutes of the movie with no issues (I don't expect any, because everything copied fine). It does take longer to do two processes whoever the Rip of the backup only took 12 minutes. I'm good with this for now however, I will look at getting another drive soon so I can rip two at a time.

Thanks for the help!
fyi you can just put your email in to anydvd recovery and it will email you your license file
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com