BH16NS40 firmware

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Killer_Huskey

BH16NS40 firmware

Post by Killer_Huskey »

I have an older BH16NS40 drive that was manufactured on oct 2013. Am I able to flash this drive to a FW level that will allow me to rip UHD discs? It currently hs FW 1.01 on it.
Woodstock

Re: BH16NS40 firmware

Post by Woodstock »

No. It was built before the specifications were decided upon in 2015.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Killer_Huskey

Post by Killer_Huskey »

Thanks for the reply!!
Just my luck, I've been ripping blurays for years and now have the need to do UHD discs. I also have a WH16NS40 drive, unfortunently it too, was manufactured in 2014. :-(

Is there anywhere good drives can be purched from?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

There are sellers here on this forum that will sell you a flashed (if necessary) and tested drive. Drives for sale, Flashing Services, where to buy...

The first post of the Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide thread is maintained and kept up-to-date. It has a list of drives that you can buy and instructions for flashing it yourself.

Pioneer drives are held in high regard. Unfortunately recent Pioneer firmware updates (Pioneer firmware update February 2023) make most new Pioneer drives you buy incompatible with MakeMKV, and they can't be downgraded to a compatible firmware. Your best bet for a Pioneer is one of the sellers.

If you happen to live in Europe, the Verbatim 43888 is widely available, modestly priced, and comes with an older Pioneer drive inside it. It works out of the box with MakeMKV. According the sellers here, it isn't quite as reliable as Pioneer's newer, more expensive offerings, but is still a reasonable choice.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

The UD04 drive inside the Verbatim 43888 is reliable, however the enclosure electronics seems not to be so robust as the ones Pioneer itself is using in their slim drives.