hashed keys download bug

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Akira_04

hashed keys download bug

Post by Akira_04 »

Hashed keys could seemingly not be downloaded, even though both DNS entries for hkdata.crabdance.com and hkdata.fairuse.org could be resolved by the computer

Hello guys,
I've recently noticed an issue with MakeMKV. The program was seemingly not able to properly download hashed keys in the background, needed for UHD bluray decryption. Their was no error code to be found in any of the logs. Even though all of my recently acquired UHD discs were released several years ago, none of them could be decrypted by MakeMKV, which was very suspicious. After sending in one of the dumps, reflashing my trusty LG WH16NS60, reinstalling MakeMKV several times, reading many posts on the forum, creating a host file, checking, if the aforementioned sites could be reached and waiting a few days before trying agian, I still had no luck. After going through an old backup of an older Windows 11 install of mine, I've noticed that the structure of the _private_data.tar file severly differed, compared to my recent installation. In the directory of my new install their only was one .bin file, while I found roughly four hundred in the backup. I transfred the _private_data.tar file into the directory of my new install and was imediatelly able to decrypt the European UHD release of Inception.

I wanted to ask, if any of you recently encountered a similar issue and if there is a known workaround.
Woodstock

Re: hashed keys download bug

Post by Woodstock »

Because the DNS works for both hosts does not mean that your system will allow a download from them. Especially if you're not seeing it in the log when you're opening a disk that isn't known,

Are you seeing any message about attempting to contact the server, and it being "disabled or blocked"?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Akira_04

Post by Akira_04 »

I don't see anything that would suggest my system is trying to contact the server unsuccessfully in the logs. I looked up some of the possible error messages that are prone to pop up when there is an issue with the DNS configuration in the forum, but I never encountered any of them. The log even says "Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.", thus suggesting that a table of keys is indeed present, although it seems to not include the correct keys needed to decrypt the disc.

The inability of my system to download the newest keys has prohibited me from ripping the UHD release of DUNE, because the required keys were likely not present in the backup's files I'm currently relying on.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Akira_04 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:13 pm
The log even says "Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.", thus suggesting that a table of keys is indeed present, although it seems to not include the correct keys needed to decrypt the disc.
A content hash table is part of the contents of a blu-ray disc. It allows a program like MakeMKV to verify that the data read by the optical drive is correct. It doesn't have anything to do with wether or not MakeMKV was able to download hashed keys to be able to decrypt.
Akira_04

Post by Akira_04 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:16 am
Akira_04 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:13 pm
The log even says "Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.", thus suggesting that a table of keys is indeed present, although it seems to not include the correct keys needed to decrypt the disc.
A content hash table is part of the contents of a blu-ray disc. It allows a program like MakeMKV to verify that the data read by the optical drive is correct. It doesn't have anything to do with wether or not MakeMKV was able to download hashed keys to be able to decrypt.
Thanks for clarifying this! I will simply try to install MakeMKV on another machine next, just to check if the missing keys are in any form related to my OS and/or even an issue that occurred during the initial install of MakeMKV.