New to MakeMKV, could use some advice!

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Dapoonie

New to MakeMKV, could use some advice!

Post by Dapoonie »

Afternoon all, new to MakeMKV as I stated in my topic.

I've got tons and tons of movies, dvds, bluray, and UHD blurays. I finally decided to go about coverting them to digital and setup a Jellyfin server on my NAS.

Well, I looked around, and came across MakeMKV, was recommended by many. I so far haven't had any issues backing up DVD's and Blurays. My drive doesn't seem to want to read the UHD Blurays.

This is what MakeMKV shows for my drive.

LG Drive
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.05

I saw some topics about flashing, how to's , do's and don'ts, etc. There was a lot to go through, and got kind of lost in all the talk. I wasn't sure if I should bother with flashing the drive or if I should try another option to try to Back up my UHD blurays.

Any insight or help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich
d00zah

Re: New to MakeMKV, could use some advice!

Post by d00zah »

Dapoonie wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:55 pm
Afternoon all, new to MakeMKV as I stated in my topic.

I've got tons and tons of movies, dvds, bluray, and UHD blurays. I finally decided to go about coverting them to digital and setup a Jellyfin server on my NAS.

Well, I looked around, and came across MakeMKV, was recommended by many. I so far haven't had any issues backing up DVD's and Blurays. My drive doesn't seem to want to read the UHD Blurays.

This is what MakeMKV shows for my drive.

LG Drive
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.05

I saw some topics about flashing, how to's , do's and don'ts, etc. There was a lot to go through, and got kind of lost in all the talk. I wasn't sure if I should bother with flashing the drive or if I should try another option to try to Back up my UHD blurays.

Any insight or help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich
1st post of this topic (regularly maintained) is all you need...

Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023
Dapoonie

Post by Dapoonie »

I'm got the bin's and the flasher downloaded.

When I select either of the ones that match my model, one is for 1.00 and the other is 1.02, I get checksum mismatch, drive will go to boot mode error

Target drive: HL-DT-STBD-RE WH16NS40 1.05

Current version 1.05-00

I tried this first: DE_Flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_WH16NS40_1.02_NS50.bin

Am I missing something, seemed to easy on the video, just click this and then open folder, select the .bin, and hit play button?

Sorry, I'm "noob" level lol.

Thanks,

Rich
Dapoonie

Post by Dapoonie »

Looks like I was using the wrong flasher, I'm now using SDFtool flasher, it seems like it wants to work but then errors out at the end, when almost complete.

I get command produced error code 0x82052603

Again, running the 1.02 bin matching my exact model from MartyMcNuts all you need firmware pack.

The DE_LG_WH16NS40-NS50_1.02.bin is the one I tried.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Dapoonie wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:35 am

When I select either of the ones that match my model, one is for 1.00 and the other is 1.02, I get checksum mismatch, drive will go to boot mode error

Current version 1.05-00

Am I missing something, seemed to easy on the video, just click this and then open folder, select the .bin, and hit play button?

Thanks,

Rich
your not following the guide it does not say to flash wh16ns40 fw at all
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Dapoonie wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:35 am

Current version 1.05-00

Thanks,

Rich
Recommended Firmware to flash for MakeMKV:
WH16NS40 on any Firmware directly to > WH16NS60 1.02MK

LG 5.25 desktop > HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin

Use SDFtool Flasher

Make sure:

- tray is closed, no disc in drive
- 'enc' is checked (1.05 is an encrypted FW)
Dapoonie

Post by Dapoonie »

Awesome, apparently I'm not reading something correctly, sorry I missed it in the guide. I had the tray closed, no disc, ENC checked, since my Firmware was listed on the encrypted list. I for some reason was stuck on trying to flash it with the same model 1.02 firmware. Thanks for getting me course corrected d00zah!

It took it fine with the mk.bin you linked below.

Thanks,

Off to hopefully UHD backups now

Sorry to have been a bother lol, good night!
jayper

Post by jayper »

Be absolutely certain you have read the following before you do anything:
1. Make sure your Drive was built after 2016 on label or late 2015 if you want to risk it.
2. Drive Platform MT1959<Most important in makemkv
3. SVC NS50+ LG only on label for NB drives NB50+
4. Just because your drive is the same model number does not mean it will work, if you are unsure ask me i offer remote flashing and check everything before i flash.
5. Dont flash your dive if it does not meet these requirements if you do you will be unable to read all disks and unable to restore without dosflash that does not work on most modern computers
Dapoonie

Post by Dapoonie »

I checked the forum beforehand when I was looking to buy a bluray reader/burner/etc.

Saw that the asus and LG models I was looking at were supported. So I went with the LG.

BTW, the flash worked, my Bluray Burner patched to 1.02, Libre is active, and 4k UHD's are backing up now!

Win win, thanks again for the quick responses, and getting me on the right path.

"This is the way"

Thanks,

Rich