RE: Fixing Volume Key is Unknown

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
adamthefilmfan

RE: Fixing Volume Key is Unknown

Post by adamthefilmfan »

Hi

I've read the locked thread and looked at the FAQ's but I can't seem to find the answer. I submitted a de-bug file over the weekend for a disc that has an unknown volume key issue and fair enough, it might take a few more days for a fix. However, despite having MakeMKV internet access ticked, I never see a log entry as it tries to unlock the disc showing any attempt that it's checking the internet for an update. Is this normal?

Thanks

Adam
demon

Re: RE: Fixing Volume Key is Unknown

Post by demon »

Depending on Mike's workload, sometimes they can take longer than a few days. I've had them take a week or so to show up in an HK download, but they always do. If it's an older title though, your ISP might be filtering DNS for or blocking connections to the site that hosts the update downloads; if that's the case, you'd need to troubleshoot that. What title specifically are you having issues with?
adamthefilmfan

Post by adamthefilmfan »

Hi, it's The Green Mile. I'm not in a desperate hurry and I've changed my DNS settings as described in the original thread.

It's the fact that I never see MakeMKV trying to look for a HK file that concerns me and after ripping over a 1,000 films this is the first time I've had this issue.

(BTW - I've never posted here until this point - that's how great MakeMKV has been for me over the last 8 years!)

MakeMKV v1.17.4 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\Adam/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using LibreDrive mode (v01.0 id=489CDFD6D392)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\Adam/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v76_Green_Mile_8BA5.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
DEBUG: Code 0 at 6o}7w.Puikol{)H3:213132721
DEBUG: Code 0 at 6o}7w.Puikol{)H3:213131341
Failed to open disc
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Did you submit your dump? Over in the The Green Mile 4k UHD thread, it looks like someone submitted the dump for key MKB20_v76_Green_Mile_B4F3.tgz. Your log shows a different key: MKB20_v76_Green_Mile_8BA5.tgz. I can't tell from searching the forum if anyone has submitted your key.

UHD FAQ
MakeMKV says that "the volume key is unknown for this disc"?
MakeMKV produces an AACS .tgz dump file whenever you try to open a disc for which the key is unknown, and will report that the dump has been created. Email the dump file to svq@makemkv.com.
adamthefilmfan

Post by adamthefilmfan »

Yes I submitted the dump file over the weekend, ensured MakeMKV is internet enabled and changed my DNS server settings.

But if you read this thread my question is why am I not seeing MakeMKV making an attempt at looking for a volume key file?

MakeMKV v1.17.4 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\Adam/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using LibreDrive mode (v01.0 id=489CDFD6D392)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\Adam/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v76_Green_Mile_8BA5.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
DEBUG: Code 0 at 6o}7w.Puikol{)H3:213132721
DEBUG: Code 0 at 6o}7w.Puikol{)H3:213131341
Failed to open disc
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I've never seen a message to log an attempt. I've seen a 'success' message saying: Downloading latest HK to /user/Library/MakeMKV ...

And there's the error message when it didn't work: Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed

I suppose what's left means 1) you've got the latest set of hashed keys and 2) the key for your version isn't there yet.