Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt 4k... MEDIUM ERROR at same offset

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
b@ner#les

Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt 4k... MEDIUM ERROR at same offset

Post by b@ner#les »

I have a new Pioneer external BDR-XD08U that has worked consistently well, but it seems to fail on this Shadow of a Doubt 4k disc (from hitchcock 4k UHD collection vol. 2). I've tried two different copies (thanks, amazon), yet it fails at the exact same offset on both copies/discs! See attached screenshot.

It says 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading blabblah at offset 33166848000'

It's the same offset everytime.

And yes, I even cleaned the disc with soap... still fails at the exact same offset everytime, and the exact same current save file size.

My drive info:
Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/rdisk4
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-XD08U
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: BFDL000941UC
Firmware date: 2022-04-03
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 78

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS9331
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-BDS8
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00/ID05
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

I'm running makemkv (latest version, 1.17.4) on a macbook pro 16" (m1 max), plenty of ram, etc.

Any clues? Really frustrating. I do not have the pioneer drive on ac power--it's only plugged in via thunderbolt 4 on macbook pro. The drive did not come with a power adapter.
dcoke22

Re: Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt 4k... MEDIUM ERROR at same offset

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't have any insights in your specific case, unfortunately. I can say, however, that in my experience some drives just don't like some discs. I have 3 drives, one of which is a modern Pioneer drive. Whenever a disc doesn't work in my 'main' drive (aka, the drive I always try first), I try the disc in a different drive. This often works. If the disc doesn't work in any of my 3 drives, I bother to clean the disc. In this way, I end up being able to rip almost everything. Twice I've had to get a UHD replaced and in both cases the replacement disc worked.

My main drive is an LG. On several occasions I've had discs that failed in the LG work without hiccup in my Pioneer. And on at least one occasion, I've had a disc fail hard in my Pioneer that worked easily in my LG. I've had discs fail in one LG drive but work in a different LG drive of the same model.

USB-C plugs support more power than USB Type-A plugs. Almost everyone having power problems are using drives with Type-A plugs (usually a Y cable with two plugs).
You've tried cleaning the disc.
That two discs are getting an error at the same offset is suspicious.
The blu-ray.com forum thread for this disc has at least two people reporting playback problems.

Obviously, my advice is to try a different drive, but that might not be practical.
b@ner#les

Re: Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt 4k... MEDIUM ERROR at same offset

Post by b@ner#les »

Hey, thanks for the link on blu-ray.com. I actually went there to see if anything was mentioned with the hitchcock collection 2 set review, but didnt think to check the individual movie page comments. Good tip!

AND... good news is after both discs failed, and I cleaned the 2nd disc and it still failed... I thought I'd give it one more try today before returning them both to amazon. I hadn't cleaned the first disc, so figured, WTH, give it a shot... and it worked! Both discs show a bunch of nicks/marks on them (even after cleaning) while the other discs in the set do not. Did the pioneer cause that, or they came that way?

Regardless--glad the thing finally worked, and the set is all on plex. PIA tho, for sure.

So... still haven't had to buy a back up drive :) Overall, the pioneer has been pretty rock solid.