Ripping with Two drives

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
cybergools

Ripping with Two drives

Post by cybergools »

Hello
I have two Pioneer bd04 drives. Individually boith work fine to rip bluray and UHd disks but cant use both together.
Any ideas how i set up so both can run together?
Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Ripping with Two drives

Post by Woodstock »

Are you trying to run separate copies of MakeMKV, each talking to one drive, to use them "together"?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cybergools

Post by cybergools »

cybergools wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:18 pm
Hello
I have two Pioneer bd04 drives. Individually boith work fine to rip bluray and UHd disks but cant use both together.
Any ideas how i set up so both can run together?
Thanks
I have one MKV account and two drives
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you want to rip more than one disk at a time, you can start MakeMKV in "single drive mode", which will ask you which drive to assign to the "running copy" as you start it. MakeMKV only extracts one copy at a time, but you can run more than one copy.

When you have more than one drive available, the Preferences>IO page will have a checkbox, "Ask for single drive mode". Check it, and you'll get the question each time MakeMKV starts.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
garretn

Post by garretn »

I use two drives myself, at the same time, and yes it can be problematic at times. To date I haven't decided if there is an actual MakeMKV issue, a Linux issue, a LibreDrive or firmware issue, or a simple mechanical one from having two drives above/below each other spinning for an extended period of time.

Some notes:
  • Start two instances of MakeMKV, select an exclusive drive each, before opening discs in either instance.
  • Let one start to rip "in earnest" before starting the second one. I seem to have better success if I avoid "rocking the boat", though this is not consistent.
  • If one fails, don't do anything with it until the other one finishes, it seems to increase the likelihood that that one will fail too.
  • I only have issues if it's a BD, DVDs never fail. I can go to town with these.