UHD John Wick 3 Issues

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
fspeed

UHD John Wick 3 Issues

Post by fspeed »

I am using the following drive to rip this title and it reads and then ends and ejects after a couple of minutes. It does this on multiple UHD discs. Looking through the forum I am not seeing my specific issue since others appear to get it working but I have not. Is there a way to create a log to share? Any assistance is appreciated.

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/rdisk4
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.00
Firmware date: 2116-12-20 15:28
Bus encryption flags: 17

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
demon

Re: UHD John Wick 3 Issues

Post by demon »

Going into View -> Preferences, and enabling "Expert mode" (and possibly "Log debug messages") should give you more useful output. Are you backing up the entire disc, or just a certain title? John Wick 3 (as a Lionsgate title) may have been one (I haven't backed my copy up in awhile, of course) of the titles that uses title obfuscation, so MakeMKV might be selecting a weird, broken title on that one. Are you getting an actual error when this happens, or is it claiming success?
GnomeFondler

Re: UHD John Wick 3 Issues

Post by GnomeFondler »

demon wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:28 am
Going into View -> Preferences, and enabling "Expert mode" (and possibly "Log debug messages") should give you more useful output. Are you backing up the entire disc, or just a certain title? John Wick 3 (as a Lionsgate title) may have been one (I haven't backed my copy up in awhile, of course) of the titles that uses title obfuscation, so MakeMKV might be selecting a weird, broken title on that one. Are you getting an actual error when this happens, or is it claiming success?
I don't recall there being anything special about ripping JW3's UHD disk. A search on this forum seems to confirm this; the UHD disk had no obfuscation, but the regular BD was apparently obfuscated, and the obfuscation differed between the versions sold by every retailer...

viewtopic.php?t=20362&start=120 should tell you which playlist you need if you have some strange desire to rip the bluray (aside from special features which probably aren't obfuscated).