Playback full quality UHD MKVs

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
himynameisryan

Playback full quality UHD MKVs

Post by himynameisryan »

Now I want to note I am an idiot. So if I miss something obvious, call me out on it.

So I have an MKV of a BluRay that is 4K HDR10+ and has TrueHD Dolby Atmos.
How can I actually play this at full quality.

I tried Nvidia Shield Pro. Lack of HDR10+ makes it look like garbage + the price tag is painful + apple ecosystem kinda makes this annoying (but I’d be willing to put up with it if there’s absolutely no other way)

I tried 2022 AppleTV4K, doesn’t support TrueHD Dolby Atmos (it uses Dolby Digital+ Atmos only) so height data was combined with side speakers when I tried to ply using Infuse Pro, and with Jellyfin’s official appletv app there was just no sound output

And I can’t find a software for windows or Mac that will play it back either, and windows is extremely unideal as HDR on windows is pain.

As a last ditch effort I tried the worst Dolby atmos setup I own my iPhone 14 pro max and AirPods Pro 2nd gen. Still 7.1, no height effects

Is this even possible? Cause I’m pretty tech savvy and work with video, but I’m new to BluRay ripping and recently discovered this.

Thanks,
Ryan
bobbymkV

Re: Playback full quality UHD MKVs

Post by bobbymkV »

Zidoo Z9X can do HDR10+ and Atmos passthrough
himynameisryan

Post by himynameisryan »

bobbymkV wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:06 pm
and Atmos passthrough
Is that TrueHD Atmos? Or Just Dolby Digitital+ Atmos like the appletv (god I hate apple sometimes for these restrictions, I get that’s what streaming services use, but they could have supported both)

If it does support TrueHD Atmos, that’s great, I’ll probably purchase it, but it is by no means a perfect solution
Yep it’s a true enthusiast solution with no cozy modern style UI and it doesn’t have 90% of what I want in a streaming box
But if it’s the only option for plying back the movies from a Blu-ray in full quality, there isn’t much I can do about that
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

It does TrueHD Atmos. You aren't wrong about it not being a perfect device. There isn't one that exists, which is why many of us Z9X users use it with a Shield or ATV haha

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

himynameisryan

Post by himynameisryan »

bobbymkV wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:51 am
It does TrueHD Atmos.
Thank you for your help. I will definitely look into purchasing it
morbius

Post by morbius »

Also the Vero 4K+, does HDR10+ and full HD audio pass through.