UHD BDs not copying completely?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
fukimo

UHD BDs not copying completely?

Post by fukimo »

I've noticed this happen with two movies now, but I swear around the 30,300 MB mark my drive just gives up. Is my drive the problem? I know there's badly mastered discs out there, but surely it can't be THIS bad.
Woodstock

Re: UHD BDs not copying completely?

Post by Woodstock »

On a UHD disk, that would be about the point where the movie switches to the second layer of the disk.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Re: UHD BDs not copying completely?

Post by dcoke22 »

UHD Discs are often either 2-layer, 66 GB discs or 3-layer, 100GB discs. In those configurations, the maximum data per layer is just over 33GB, so it is plausible that your drive is having trouble at the layer change.

When the drive tries to access a different layer, the optics have to refocus, since the second layer is at a different depth than the first layer.

A regular blu-ray and a UHD use the same wavelength of laser. DVDs use a different wavelength laser. As such, most drives have two lasers, one for blu-ray and one for DVD. There are some dual layer DVDs (~8.5GB), just as there are dual layer blu-rays (50GB). If your drive is failing, I would expect 2-layer blu-rays and all UHDs (which are either 2-layer or 3-layer) to both show similar difficulties. DVDs might continue to work, since that's almost certainly a different laser.