Possible to rip UHD discs as SDR?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
erik2

Possible to rip UHD discs as SDR?

Post by erik2 »

I want to make backups of my collection and also have files I can easily watch when I don’t have internet. For this use case I’m fine with 1080p and even some compression via handbrake. For my UHD films that came with standard Blu Ray copies I’m just going to rip those. But I have a few box sets (Indiana Jones comes to mind) that only have UHD discs. I really don’t need (nor really want) these MKV files to have the HDR layers embedded. Is it possible to rip them in SDR with makeMkv or is this not possible?

Thanks I’m advance for any info!
MartyMcNuts

Re: Possible to rip UHD discs as SDR?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

erik2 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:50 pm
I want to make backups of my collection and also have files I can easily watch when I don’t have internet. For this use case I’m fine with 1080p and even some compression via handbrake. For my UHD films that came with standard Blu Ray copies I’m just going to rip those. But I have a few box sets (Indiana Jones comes to mind) that only have UHD discs. I really don’t need (nor really want) these MKV files to have the HDR layers embedded. Is it possible to rip them in SDR with makeMkv or is this not possible?

Thanks I’m advance for any info!
Not possible. You would have to rip as normal then perform HDR to SDR conversion using other software.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dcoke22

Re: Possible to rip UHD discs as SDR?

Post by dcoke22 »

I think HandBrake has a colorspace filter. Folks on Reddit talk about using that filter and selecting BT.709 to get Handbrake to tone map from HDR to SDR.

I haven't tried it, so be skeptical of everything I just said. :)