Possible to rip MKV with only the DV BL (HDR10)?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
rkhollister

Possible to rip MKV with only the DV BL (HDR10)?

Post by rkhollister »

The answer to this may be buried in the big DV thread but I don't follow most of what is going on in there :)

I play my MKV's with a Zidoo Z9X which plays the profile 7 BL+RPU and ignores the EL on a FEL title. 99% of the time it looks identical to playing teh disc on my Panasonic BDP but there are a handful of titles that have various visual artifacts due to how the disc is authored (the EL is not just the 10->12 bit chroma difference).

Is there a relatively straightforward way to discard the RPU + EL and just have a HDR10 version of the MKV?
Balthazar2k4

Re: Possible to rip MKV with only the DV BL (HDR10)?

Post by Balthazar2k4 »

Have you considered using @Reset_9999 script to convert to profile 8?

Check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602

I have done all 542 of my DV discs with it and it works great on my AppleTVs.
rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

With some help from other members on the All Quiet On The Western Front thread, I have successfully both removed the DV layer and/or converted to profile 8.

In the case of Saving Private Ryan, converting to profile 8 fixed the pulsing luminance in certain scenes playing teh FEL MKV on my Zidoo Z9X. For Total Recall I had to fall back to HDR10 to greatly reduce the macro blocking in the Mars red sky scenes.

Basically, use DGDemux to demux the BDMV folder backup and then mux into a MKV using MKVToolNIX without the Dolby Vision hevc file. Presto - HDR10 version!
ColonelBlimp043

Post by ColonelBlimp043 »

I would not rely on the RPU for Saving Private Ryan or Total Recall. I tried remuxing the BL and RPU for Saving Private Ryan into a profile 8 file using the RESET_9999 script. While it cured the sky pulsing, it introduced other visual anomalies. Notably the text in the opening credits went from bright white to a dim gray. The RPU really needs the residual video information from the EL stream to function properly.

In both titles, I used DGDemux to strip the EL altogether and MKVToolNix to remux to an HDR10 only MKV version.
rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

ColonelBlimp043 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:29 pm
I would not rely on the RPU for Saving Private Ryan or Total Recall. I tried remuxing the BL and RPU for Saving Private Ryan into a profile 8 file using the RESET_9999 script. While it cured the sky pulsing, it introduced other visual anomalies. Notably the text in the opening credits went from bright white to a dim gray. The RPU really needs the residual video information from the EL stream to function properly.

In both titles, I used DGDemux to strip the EL altogether and MKVToolNix to remux to an HDR10 only MKV version.
Interesting - I already came to the same conclusion for Total Recall but I need to take another look at SPR. I was focused on the pulsing sky.

There were reports going around of similar issues with Beverly Hills Cop and a couple of the Transformer movies but I have not seen anything off in those so far. Maybe we need to start a thread listing DV titles that do not function correctly with RPU-only?
rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

So I just checked Saving Private Ryan again. My DVp8 version does NOT have the gray credits issue noted by ColonelBlimp043. I'm using tv-led DV on my Sony X95K.
AngryVirginian

Post by AngryVirginian »

Can't you just upload a non-DV EDID to Zidoo to disable DV out?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

AngryVirginian wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:50 am
Can't you just upload a non-DV EDID to Zidoo to disable DV out?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
There are only a few DV titles that present issues when played with an RPU-only EL. I certainly don't want to kill DV for 2-3 titles (in my case).