MPEG media transport format support

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SuperFashi

MPEG media transport format support

Post by SuperFashi »

My TV recorder records to BD disks under stream folder with extension .mmts for UHD content.
When ripping from the disc through backup, no error is displayed by MakeMKV but the file is not decrypted (it's the same content as viewed directly from the CD). If click the big Open button, the stream is also not shown.
This format is already standardized for many years (see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_media_transport).
Is it possible for MakeMKV to add support for this media format? Let me know if you need me to provide anything. Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: MPEG media transport format support

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV is designed to remove encryption from standard commercial media. Does this format appear on such media?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SuperFashi

Post by SuperFashi »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:24 pm
MakeMKV is designed to remove encryption from standard commercial media. Does this format appear on such media?
1. It is in the standard and is being used commercially. I don't have an example of a commercial UHD disc that use this encoding. I think the decoder/demuxer of MMT have to be popularized before it actually appear in large quantity. There is open-source implementation of this already though.
2. The argument here is that there might be minimal effort to support decryption of this kind of file. Maybe it is as simple as adding this extension to MakeMKV (currently it hardcodes `m2ts` and `fmts`). If MakeMKV were open-source it would be easier to experiment with, but the only way now is to ask.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

SuperFashi wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:02 am
Maybe it is as simple as adding this extension to MakeMKV (currently it hardcodes `m2ts` and `fmts`).
Maybe because that's the BluRay standard defined in its White papers. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#D ... _structure and it's sources.

On the other hand, there isn't much to be found about mmts files.