Get by Geo Blocking with VPN for Hash Keys

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Fletchmasta

Get by Geo Blocking with VPN for Hash Keys

Post by Fletchmasta »

I have been using MakeMKV for a long time now but today was the first time I have ever tried to rip a UHD movie. For some reason I wasn't able to download the hash keys and I kept getting an error that said, "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted." I was reading all the posts that I could find about this but wasn't getting anywhere until I found this post about Geo Blocking.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24711

It took me a while to try all the steps suggested in that post, but I wanted to share what got it working for me so hopefully my experience will help others who are having the same issue. For me to get this to work with my VPN I had to make sure to add makemkvcon64.exe to use my VPN before I was able to download the Hash Keys. Adding the regular makemkv.exe to my VPN did NOT make this work. It took me forever to figure this out! I had to use the "netstat -b" command in CMD to see what connections my PC was trying to make with the outside world. It was only then that I saw makemkvcon64.exe was trying to make a connection to somewhere else. Adding that specific makemkvcon64.exe seems to have fixed the issue because I no longer receive that error.