Cannot get Dolby Vision

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SamuriHL

Re: Cannot get Dolby Vision

Post by SamuriHL »

As you've been told, DV is complex. I don't pretend to fully understand it all, either. I did, however just order one of these for myself:

https://www.dune-hd.com/products/homatics-box-r-4k-plus

There's a lot of discussion about the FEL support this box has and whether it's ignoring the FEL or actually playing it. Remains to be seen at this point. But it's another POSSIBLE option to add to your list of things to research, either way.
rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

FatherTime wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:17 pm
rkhollister wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:54 am
Zidoo Z9X will also play DV MKV's - it is what I use for my 800+ title collection. Probably has the best PQ of the units out there but it is file playback only, not a streamer (i.e. no Netflix, Amazon, etc). The Dune players also work
This is good news for me then. I was looking at getting a Zidoo Z9X over the Shield. I was going to plug into the Zidoo a multi-TB sata HDD and use it for 4k rip playback only. I already have a firestick 4k for streaming. From what I understand the Zidoo will play both MKV and ISO rips. Does that sound correct?

-Do you prefer mkv or iso on your Zidoo?
-Your preferred method of ripping to iso or mkv?
There are a lot of complaints about playing BDMV or ISO menus with Zidoo. MKV's work perfectly, which is what I use.
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

Well now... Dune seems pretty specific about both P7 tracks being sent to the TV.. This would be what we have been waiting for...

From their site:
Dolby Vision profile 7 FEL

Dune HD media center supports direct playback of Dolby Vision profile 7 FEL double-track and double-layer files. This is the most advanced Dolby Vision format. Dune HD media center plays video in this format using both tracks/layers. The important Dolby Vision information from the second track/layer (Dolby Vision RPU metadata) is transmitted to TV together with video data from the first track/layer. The passed video data uses 10-bit color depth - the maximum color depth supported by OLED-panels in OLED TVs, i.e. this fully uses the capabilities of OLED TVs. Combined with the full use of DolbyVision metadata this gives an excellent Dolby Vision picture on the TV screen.
SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:40 pm
As you've been told, DV is complex. I don't pretend to fully understand it all, either. I did, however just order one of these for myself:

https://www.dune-hd.com/products/homatics-box-r-4k-plus

There's a lot of discussion about the FEL support this box has and whether it's ignoring the FEL or actually playing it. Remains to be seen at this point. But it's another POSSIBLE option to add to your list of things to research, either way.
rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

Low Winter Sun wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:59 pm
Well now... Dune seems pretty specific about both P7 tracks being sent to the TV.. This would be what we have been waiting for...

From their site:

Dune HD media center supports direct playback of Dolby Vision profile 7 FEL double-track and double-layer files. This is the most advanced Dolby Vision format. Dune HD media center plays video in this format using both tracks/layers. The important Dolby Vision information from the second track/layer (Dolby Vision RPU metadata) is transmitted to TV together with video data from the first track/layer. The passed video data uses 10-bit color depth - the maximum color depth supported by OLED-panels in OLED TVs, i.e. this fully uses the capabilities of OLED TVs. Combined with the full use of DolbyVision metadata this gives an excellent Dolby Vision picture on the TV screen.
No it's not - there are 3 layers. Base video, RPU & EL (the 10->12 bit chroma trick). No player other than DV UHD blu-ray players support the EL. It requires an additional decoder which no currently available chip supports at the resolution/fps required. There is an upcoming Amlogic SOC that appears to have the necessary HW, but it will still need Dolby Labs to provide the necessary FW/SW. It is far from certain that any file player/streamer will support full FEL DV. What the current Dune, Zidoo and Shield boxes support is essentially MEL. They play FEL but discard the EL, There is some debate as to the actual visible value of the EL. Comparing DV FEL playback on my Panasonic BDP to my Zidoo Z9X with MKV's doesn't immediately demonstrate a difference I could attribute to 12 bit chroma.

I personally think the quest for the FEL EL capability in streamers is somewhat overblown.
Pelayo

Post by Pelayo »

rkhollister wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:23 pm
Low Winter Sun wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:59 pm

From their site:

No it's not - there are 3 layers. Base video, RPU & EL (the 10->12 bit chroma trick). No player other than DV UHD blu-ray players support the EL. It requires an additional decoder which no currently available chip supports at the resolution/fps required. There is an upcoming Amlogic SOC that appears to have the necessary HW, but it will still need Dolby Labs to provide the necessary FW/SW. It is far from certain that any file player/streamer will support full FEL DV. What the current Dune, Zidoo and Shield boxes support is essentially MEL. They play FEL but discard the EL, There is some debate as to the actual visible value of the EL. Comparing DV FEL playback on my Panasonic BDP to my Zidoo Z9X with MKV's doesn't immediately demonstrate a difference I could attribute to 12 bit chroma.

I personally think the quest for the FEL EL capability in streamers is somewhat overblown.
The Chromecast with google tv supports and plays the FEL layer.