Cannot get Dolby Vision

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
FatherTime

Cannot get Dolby Vision

Post by FatherTime »

Ok. I feel really stupid. Either I'm REALLY bad at searching or my question hasn't been asked. First, total noob here. Not with tech, but with Makemkv. I cannot, for the life of me, get my rips to output Dolby Vision. I have the latest version of Makemkv, it reads fine an outputs the file correctly. I leave everything selected. When I look at the file (in the mediainfo app) only HDR10 shows. When I try to stream it the TV only gets an HDR10 signal. No DV to be found. I've tried to stream it across the local network to the Sony x700, Firestick 4k through the Kodi app and Plex app, as well as on the Sony TV Plex app. No DV to be found anywhere. I've tried ripping through Makemkv, and DVDFab with the same results. Completely lost and thinking this hobby isn't for me. Maybe just stick to playing the discs in the player. Lame. I am ripping with the LG Wh16ns40 with the correct firmware on a beast of a Windows 10 PC. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by FatherTime on Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcoke22

Re: Cannot get Dolby Vision

Post by dcoke22 »

Make sure you have the latest version of MediaInfo.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

FatherTime wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:35 pm
Ok. I feel really stupid. Either I'm REALLY bad at searching or my question hasn't been asked. First, total noob here. Not with tech, but with Makemkv. I cannot, for the life of me, get my rips to output Dolby Vision. I have the latest version of Makemkv, it reads fine an outputs the file correctly. I leave everything selected. When I look at the file (in the mediainfo app) only HDR10 shows. When I try to stream it the TV only gets an HDR10 signal. No DV to be found. I've tried to stream it across the local network to the Sony x700, Firestick 4k through the Kodi app and Plex app, as well as on the Sony TV Plex app. No DV to be found anywhere. I've tried ripping through Makemkv, and DVDFab with the same results. Completely lost and thinking this hobby isn't for me. Maybe just stick to playing the discs in the player. Lame. I am ripping with the LG Wh16ns60 with the correct firmware on a beast of a Windows 10 PC. Any help would be appreciated.
Are you ripping a movie that actually contains DV? Not all UHD discs have DV.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

Are you ripping a movie that actually contains DV? Not all UHD discs have DV.
I have tried it with "Ready Player One" as well as "Dune". The "Ford vs Ferrari" works great because its HDR10. lol
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:16 pm
Make sure you have the latest version of MediaInfo.
Yes, freshly downloaded and installed off the Mediainfo website.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

This is what MediaInfo version 21.09 shows me for my 4K rip of Dune (2021).

Code: Select all

HDR format           : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:19 am

HDR format           : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
So your file has DV. Unfortunately, for now anyway, most players do not play DV in a MKV file. Most people mux the file as a mp4 / ts / m2ts file for playback on their DV compatible device. The container they use depends on what player they use.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Latest Plex won't let you play MakeMKV rips in Dolby Vision.
Also you need Kodi 21 to play these MKVs, and most of them won't work on a FireTV Stick 4K.
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

quietvoid wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:28 am
Latest Plex won't let you play MakeMKV rips in Dolby Vision.
Also you need Kodi 21 to play these MKVs, and most of them won't work on a FireTV Stick 4K.
Can I play the mkv initially created through an Nvidia Shield Pro and get the Doby Atmos and Dolby Vision straight away or must I convert the mkv file to come other file type (like mp4) to stream it through a Sony x700 or some other device?
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:34 am
dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:19 am

So your file has DV. Unfortunately, for now anyway, most players do not play DV in a MKV file. Most people mux the file as a mp4 / ts / m2ts file for playback on their DV compatible device. The container they use depends on what player they use.
Will an Nvidia Shield Pro play that DV mkv file correctly? If I mux the file, what's the easiest way (which software) to do so? If mp4/ts/m2ts, will I lose any audio/video quiality? Also the DV is listed as Video 2 (1920x1080). hmmm
kweenie

Post by kweenie »

Yes. The Shield will play the file in DV, but it needs a DV capable player. Emby works, Kodi as well, but no experience myself, Plex is evil…. Also DV needs to be enabled in the settings.
rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

Zidoo Z9X will also play DV MKV's - it is what I use for my 800+ title collection. Probably has the best PQ of the units out there but it is file playback only, not a streamer (i.e. no Netflix, Amazon, etc). The Dune players also work
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

rkhollister wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:54 am
Zidoo Z9X will also play DV MKV's - it is what I use for my 800+ title collection. Probably has the best PQ of the units out there but it is file playback only, not a streamer (i.e. no Netflix, Amazon, etc). The Dune players also work
This is good news for me then. I was looking at getting a Zidoo Z9X over the Shield. I was going to plug into the Zidoo a multi-TB sata HDD and use it for 4k rip playback only. I already have a firestick 4k for streaming. From what I understand the Zidoo will play both MKV and ISO rips. Does that sound correct?

-Do you prefer mkv or iso on your Zidoo?
-Your preferred method of ripping to iso or mkv?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Dolby Vision is a complicated topic. Dolby Vision has a concept of profiles. DV Profile 5 is the profile used for streaming. If you have a streaming box like an Apple TV or Firestick or whatever that supports streaming things in Dolby Vision, that's the profile used.

Profile 7 is used for UHDs. Profile 7 can be further divided into titles that use MEL (minimal enhancement layer) or FEL (full enhancement layer). The enhancement layer is additional data that the player decodes and applies to the base layer during playback. Most streaming boxes can't do this. As I understand it, players like a Zidoo can use a MEL but do not work with a FEL. If they play a profile 7 DV file with a FEL, they'll ignore it.

There's a giant thread on this forum (Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.) talking about how to transform rips into a format that your player can play back with DV. Different playback setups have different needs. There are some quite knowledgeable folks posting in there as well as links to tools and tutorials. It is best read starting at the end and working backwards.
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:26 pm
Dolby Vision is a complicated topic. Dolby Vision has a concept of profiles. DV Profile 5 is the profile used for streaming. If you have a streaming box like an Apple TV or Firestick or whatever that supports streaming things in Dolby Vision, that's the profile used.

Profile 7 is used for UHDs. Profile 7 can be further divided into titles that use MEL (minimal enhancement layer) or FEL (full enhancement layer). The enhancement layer is additional data that the player decodes and applies to the base layer during playback. Most streaming boxes can't do this. As I understand it, players like a Zidoo can use a MEL but do not work with a FEL. If they play a profile 7 DV file with a FEL, they'll ignore it.

There's a giant thread on this forum (Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.) talking about how to transform rips into a format that your player can play back with DV. Different playback setups have different needs. There are some quite knowledgeable folks posting in there as well as links to tools and tutorials. It is best read starting at the end and working backwards.
Thats funny. I saw that thread and thought "580 pages????? What? Where would i start". Great info on the profile 5 & 7, thanks. I also saw a profile 8. Any idea on that? Come on technology!!!!!! All I wanna do is play a digital media on my tv with all the DV & DA just like a 4k disc work in a 4k player. Why you gotta be so difficult???? I still dont understand the MEL & FEL thing. My plan is to get a Zidoo, rip everything to mkv, and hope for the best. Is that a good plan??