Dolby Vision question

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ben_uk

Dolby Vision question

Post by ben_uk »

Hi, bit of a newbie here still, so forgive the questions...

Up until this point had just been using MakeMKV in this way;

Insert disc > Open MakeMKV > File > Open Disc > Then ticking the appropriate film title(s) > Then hitting makemkv

I understood this method to backup everything including the DV layer. I don't have a capable player currently of playing DV, but I thought that when I did get one (soon) all my film rips would be useable with DV, having read through some of this thread, I don't think that is possible?

Is the above method the correct way of capturing a film? I thought I read somewhere that the m2ts files are a better approach for displaying DV content, but that means you have to do a complete backup of every disc?
el-nebu

Re: Dolby Vision question

Post by el-nebu »

Your procedure is correct.
In addition, you need to have a player that can play back DV (like Zidoo Z9X, Dune HD Real Vision 4K, Zappiti and so on ... all DV Player seem to have the Realtek 1619 chipset ) AND your TV or projector must also be able to output DV.
midnighwatcher

Post by midnighwatcher »

I just used MakeMKV 1.17.3 and ripped my new Elvis 4K, scanned it into Kodi 21 Omega (Alpha1) on my nVidia Shield and it scanned in as a Dolby Vision title. This caught me by surprise, so I played it and sure enough, it's Dolby Vision. Not sure if Kodi 20 Nexus does this or not, but Kodi 21 Omega (Alpha1) seems to be a different beast. It even appears to expand the SDR range of regular HD Bluray rips and makes them look almost lke they were HDR.
exitguy

Post by exitguy »

midnighwatcher wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:50 am
Not sure if Kodi 20 Nexus does this or not, but Kodi 21 Omega (Alpha1) seems to be a different beast.
Kodi 20 Nexus currently does not do DV, but it is to be implemented in Kodi 21 Omega. Looks like the nightlies have already been updated to do DV.
midnighwatcher

Post by midnighwatcher »

I rescanned my 4K library with KODI 21 alpha1 (it is surprisingly stable for a first alpha) and there were quite a few titles I ripped to storage that were Dolby Vision. Nice. Although I typically leave 4K rips 1:1 untouched, it'll be nice once Handbrake is updated to keep DV metadata for any re-encodes.
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

midnighwatcher wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:50 am
I just used MakeMKV 1.17.3 and ripped my new Elvis 4K, scanned it into Kodi 21 Omega (Alpha1) on my nVidia Shield and it scanned in as a Dolby Vision title. This caught me by surprise, so I played it and sure enough, it's Dolby Vision. Not sure if Kodi 20 Nexus does this or not, but Kodi 21 Omega (Alpha1) seems to be a different beast. It even appears to expand the SDR range of regular HD Bluray rips and makes them look almost lke they were HDR.
Did it display the DV FEL, if not, can it?
midnighwatcher

Post by midnighwatcher »

Only shows Dolby Vision.
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

I presume with the Nvidia Shield you can play DV titles from USB storage?