Return of the jedi - read errors

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
iamamish

Return of the jedi - read errors

Post by iamamish »

Hello,

I just bought some new 4k discs including Empire Strikes Back, Jedi, and the original Star Wars. I'm able to read all of them with my patched blu-ray drive, except for Jedi. I've tried numerous times, yet the rip fails in the same spot each time, with the following rough sequence of errors:

(NOTE: some of these errors repeat a few times, but I removed the repeats to make it easier to follow)

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00137.m2ts' at offset '80738304'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '80738304' (repeats twice)
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00137.m2ts' at offset '84344832'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '84344832' (repeats ~6 times)
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00137.m2ts' at offset '84344832'

The disc is brand new and has no fingerprints or obvious damage. Is this just a faulty disc? Do I need to exchange it? I looked through the forums and didn't see anyone reporting a similar issue, which makes me think it is just a bad disc.

Please let me know if I should be supplying additional data for troubleshooting purposes, thanks!
d00zah

Re: Return of the jedi - read errors

Post by d00zah »

An incomplete log is REALLY NOT helpful.

Did you start out w/ any of these msgs?

Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx/.MakeMKV/New_UHD_Title_ABCD.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

- OR -

Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx/.MakeMKV ...
Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.

Suggested reading:

UHD FAQ

Fixing Volume Key is Unknown

edit: IF you successfully downloaded the key, try cleaning the disc. No matter how new/pristine it may appear to the human eye, the laser may disagree. Unlike a player, MakeMKV requires a bit-perfect read of the disc data.
iamamish

Post by iamamish »

An incomplete log is REALLY NOT helpful.
There were no other errors, or I would definitely have included them. I did not see either of the message types you referenced (and I retested it just to confirm).

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.17.2 win(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=4C194CE2C4D1)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
From there, it began reading the disc. I went ahead and tried cleaning the disc, just to be 100% certain that nothing on the disc would introduce the error. Unfortunately that didn't help. It seems the issue is a bad disc as I originally suspected.

Thanks for the help.
trevork99

Post by trevork99 »

I had this same problem, except with The Phantom Menace. The disc was near-flawless, but it would always stop ripping at the same spot and throw read errors. When I played it back on my UHD player, it would freeze at the middle of the pod race scene and wouldn't play further unless I skipped it entirely.

If this is also the case for you, this may seem to be a manufacturing error on the disc and will, unfortunately, need to be replaced. Luckily for me, I was able to exchange my disc at Disney Movie Club with my invoice (I purchased it there) and they sent a whole new copy of the movie. If you purchased your copy there, I would recommend contacting them and see if they can send a replacement. They may still be able to exchange your disc if you purchased it elsewhere; I believe you just need your receipt on hand.