Intel drops Windows SGX

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Xorgeo

Intel drops Windows SGX

Post by Xorgeo »

I can not access a UHD disc in a BD drive either by using Cyberlink PowerDVD 22 or MakeMKV 1.17.2 on Windows 11.

I was informed by Intel via a trouble ticket:
"Intel has deprecated the Intel SGX feature from 11th gen and newer CPUs. Blu-ray disks require the use of Intel SGX because of the Digital Rights Management (DRM) which relies on Intel SGX functionality to facilitate secure communication and computation within the user's system to run the disk."
"Without a compatible CPU that supports Intel SGX, you would not be able to run UHD blu-ray disks on that system.

Power DVD 22 pops a message "Cannot find 'sgx_urts.dll' dialog followed by: "Intel SGX runtime is required to play Ultra HD.." However the install always fails. "The installation was unsuccessful because this platform does not support SGX..." (even when run as administrator)

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom2
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: BUFFALO
Product: Optical Drive
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: 99999999999
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 11:42
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Woodstock

Re: Intel drops Windows SGX

Post by Woodstock »

Power down the drive. Power it back up. Try accessing with MakeMKV again.

MakeMKV should be able to access any disk WITHOUT special "BD only" drivers from PowerDVD, but it may have screwed the drive up by trying to load something.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Xorgeo

Post by Xorgeo »

The craziest thing happened; I wanted to take a detailed tour of the HP Omen's BIOS, so I did a power down, and out of the Blue, the laptop started doing a BIOS update, which took several minutes. Afterwords it rebooted back to Windows 11, so I took it for another ,BD UHD app tour: MakeMKV now works, but PowerDVD 22 still tries to load the Intel SGX driver (everything still fails). I went into the BIOS and there was no SGX settings.

I have no idea where the BIOS update came from. I've communicating with HP and Intel, maybe they have some kind of remote control...
I'm going to keeping a BIOS version audit, for sure.
flashback8

Post by flashback8 »

Yeah, you don't need SGX for MakeMKV. There's an ARM64 build for macOS, and ARM64 definitely doesn't have SGX or anything like it. :) Reboot and try again. That should work.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Xorgeo wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:47 pm
I can not access a UHD disc in a BD drive either by using Cyberlink PowerDVD 22 or MakeMKV 1.17.2 on Windows 11.

I was informed by Intel via a trouble ticket:
"Intel has deprecated the Intel SGX feature from 11th gen and newer CPUs. Blu-ray disks require the use of Intel SGX because of the Digital Rights Management (DRM) which relies on Intel SGX functionality to facilitate secure communication and computation within the user's system to run the disk."
"Without a compatible CPU that supports Intel SGX, you would not be able to run UHD blu-ray disks on that system.

Power DVD 22 pops a message "Cannot find 'sgx_urts.dll' dialog followed by: "Intel SGX runtime is required to play Ultra HD.." However the install always fails. "The installation was unsuccessful because this platform does not support SGX..." (even when run as administrator)

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom2
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: BUFFALO
Product: Optical Drive
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: 99999999999
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 11:42
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Yeah, the point is not to play UHD discs but to rip them and play your backup. If you do want to play a UHD disc, use the unofficial playback method. No need for PowerDVD and any good CPU/GPU will do the job.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Xorgeo

Post by Xorgeo »

I find it very interesting how publishers have taken over the BD UHD market.
I can not find any BD-R UHD blank discs from any of the popular retail stores.
Most UHD disc (66GB) contain more data than will fit on a 50GB BD-R DL disc.
This means that a BD-R XL (100GB) disc is often required, which is 10x more expensive than a 50GB disc.
The best reasons optical disc remain popular is because they are cheep and they provide good long term data storage.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Xorgeo wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:04 pm
This means that a BD-R XL (100GB) disc is often required, which is 10x more expensive than a 50GB disc.
The best reasons optical disc remain popular is because they are cheep and they provide good long term data storage.
There's no such thing as UHD blank discs. You can write a ripped UHD folder to a triple or quad layer blu-ray disc.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Xorgeo wrote:
I don't think optical discs in computers could be considered popular. Almost no new computers come with an optical drive any more. Even 100GB of storage isn't really that much in the modern era. I have a 256GB USB stick I use for things that probably cost $25. Any data that you want to keep around for a long time that would fit on a reasonable number of optical discs can just take up a small chunk of your computer's storage, and your local backup, and your online backup.

Some folks seem hell bent on burning copies of movies onto optical discs and perhaps they have their reasons. I think the point of MakeMKV is to allow us to break free from the chains of DRM and other manipulative technologies that want to force you to watch previews, the FBI warning, and navigate silly menus. I don't begrudge the cost of buying a movie on an optical disc but I want to watch it on my terms and at my convenience.
Xorgeo

Post by Xorgeo »

66GB UHD BDs are a thing and they are a popular choice for content.
There are lots of thoughts along these lines... [Where do we go in the future??? etc.]

The best discussion I've run across about the subject:
Why do only some 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc come in triple layer 100GB disc when majority are 66GB dual layer?

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-only-some- ... dual-layer
pendell

Post by pendell »

Xorgeo wrote:
66GB UHD blanks aren't a thing because UHD discs actually use a proprietary narrower track width than regular blu-ray - and by extension BD-R. All BD-R burning lasers have only ever been designed to burn at the original track width, so can't burn the narrower width by design. It's something you can apparently only achieve with pressed discs.