The Martian - issues of a first time user

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
qsefunz

The Martian - issues of a first time user

Post by qsefunz »

Hi there,

I hope I am in the correct place here. ;-)
I am a first time user of MakeMKV and face my first issue.
I just bought an external Blue Ray Drive (ASUS BW-16D1X-U) and want to ripp "The Martian" or "Der Marsianer" (it's a German disk) UHD.
As naive as I might be, I connected the drive to my Intel Nuc (8th gen) via USB, installed MakeMKV under Windows 11 Pro and put the disc into the drive.
The drive made some short noises, the icon in MakeMKV made some funny spinning things but suddenly it came to an end and MakeMKV told me "No Disk".

Thankfully, I have another Blue Ray Drive called "Techpulse120 HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N FR07" (an external slimline thingy).
Same procedure, same computer.
With this drive MakeMKV recognizes the Blue Ray as "Blue-ray, The Martian, AACS2.0/C v60".
When I now click on the big funny icon, the fun begins after asking me to acknowledge the trial message.
But the fun stops as fast as it begun with the following messages:
(I shorten them as they are mostly the same and sorry that it's in German)

Code: Select all

Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' trat auf während der Übertragung des SCSI-Befehls A40..0020..07F zu Laufwerk 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' trat auf während der Übertragung des SCSI-Befehls A30..0020..0BF zu Laufwerk 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' trat auf während der Übertragung des SCSI-Befehls A40..0020..0BF zu Laufwerk 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' trat auf während der Übertragung des SCSI-Befehls A30..0020..0FF zu Laufwerk 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' trat auf während der Übertragung des SCSI-Befehls A40..0020..0FF zu Laufwerk 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' trat auf während der Übertragung des SCSI-Befehls A40..002000800 zu Laufwerk 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' trat auf während der Übertragung des SCSI-Befehls AD010..080002400 zu Laufwerk 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
AACS-VID kann nicht gelesen werden - höchstwahrscheinlich wird das AACS-Hostzertifikat durch Ihr Laufwerk aufgehoben
AACS Ausgabedatei als C:\Users\Markus Bonnaire/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v60_The_Martian_13B3.tgz gesichert
LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted.
Das Öffnen der Disk schlug fehl 
Unfortunately "The Martian" is the only Blue Ray I have to test. :-(

Could anyone tell me what went wrong or what I did wrong or could it be a broken disk?

Thanks guys :-)

PS: If I am wrong here, please let me know where I can dump my tears in the correct spot. ;-)
dcoke22

Re: The Martian - issues of a first time user

Post by dcoke22 »

In the main window of MakeMKV, just after you start the program, before you start the ripping process, on the right side is a bunch of information about your optical drive and its LibreDrive status. Can you post that information here?

Both of your optical drives generally need to be flashed with the correct firmware to enable LibreDrive to be able to rip a UHD.
qsefunz

Post by qsefunz »

Of course :-)

For the ASUS drive the following is displayed:

Laufwerksinformation
OS-Gerätename: D:
Produzent: ASUS
Produkt: BW-16D1X-U
Revision: A105
Serienummer: KLAL64J4033
Firmware-Datum: 2120-12-02 11:14
Markierungen der Bus-Verschlüsselung: 1F
Highest AACS version: 60

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959

Keine Disk eingelegt
and for the slim TECHPULSE120:

Laufwerksinformation
OS-Gerätename: E:
Produzent: HL-DT-ST
Produkt: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: FR07
Serienummer: 005HS028914
Firmware-Datum: 2119-05-10 13:48
Markierungen der Bus-Verschlüsselung: 1F
Highest AACS version: 60

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959

Keine Disk eingelegt
wow .. just noticed the firmware date of these devices ... back to the future or what? ;-)
qsefunz

Post by qsefunz »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:20 pm
Both of your optical drives generally need to be flashed with the correct firmware to enable LibreDrive to be able to rip a UHD.
Oh boy ...
I already suspected something like that ... damn... are there any sources where and how I can do something like that?
Or can I buy another drive that's easier to handle ... maybe without this flashing hassle? I'm scared ;-)
Because I just bought the ASUS, I could return it and buy something else ... ideally as an external solution.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Both of those drives could be flashed it seems. There's a post on this forum, Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide that includes instructions and links to the firmware you need. There's also a list of the various optical drives that can be made to rip UHD.

The Pioneer drives listed do not require flashing to rip UHDs. So, if you wanted to return your ASUS and buy a Pioneer then you wouldn't have to mess with flashing. I should note that Pioneer model numbers can be a bit confusing. Only a subset of Pioneers (generally the one's that explicitly call out Ultra Blu-ray support) work for ripping UHDs.

Also in the flashing guide, there is a list of sellers who will sell you already flashed and tested drives. I think some of them even offer 'remote flashing' services. Contact them via email if you're interested.

Finally, you can buy enclosures that hold an 'internal' optical drive and allow it to connect to your computer via USB. For example, I have an 'internal' Pioneer drive in a Vantec enclosure sitting on my desk connected to my computer via USB. The flashing guide also has a list of enclosures.