Anyone else have problems with Rankin/Bass Classic Christmas Specials Collection?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
thinksinc

Anyone else have problems with Rankin/Bass Classic Christmas Specials Collection?

Post by thinksinc »

Received the 3-disc UHD set for Christmas (Rudoloph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, and Frosty the Snowman) and all three discs report a "Failed to open disc" error. I've tried with two different drives on both a Mac and PC running the latest version of MakeMKV (with latest library downloaded), and all discs fail to open.

Protection is listed as AACS2.0/C v76.

Normally I would just assume the discs haven't been added to the database and I would submit the data to the svq@makemkv.com email address like I always do, but strangely none of the discs are even generating a file to submit, which I've never seen before (neither on my Mac or PC).

Anyone else have trouble with these discs?
Billycar11

Re: Anyone else have problems with Rankin/Bass Classic Christmas Specials Collection?

Post by Billycar11 »

full error log is helpful as well as drive info
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
thinksinc

Re: Anyone else have problems with Rankin/Bass Classic Christmas Specials Collection?

Post by thinksinc »

It turns out the discs were mastered very strangely.

Like many MakeMKV users, I have a high threshold set for minimum title length (seconds) on a disc. Mine is set to 3500, so it'll typically only show me the Feature title on a disc.

I tried changing it temporarily to "0", and it began to read the discs successfully. For some reason on these discs, there are over 60 short MPLS files (various language title screens, etc.) and I was rejecting so many of them that it seemed to trigger the "Failed to open disc" error reported below. In addition to all the small <50MB MLPS files, there was the expected 30+GB Feature file.

Once the discs were at least reading, two of the three titles were not in the MakeMKV database, so I submitted the dumps to SVQ@ as usual and they've just been added (as of today), so the discs are now ripping properly (thanks Mike!)