Adaptation 4K - Which file?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
palmerwallace

Adaptation 4K - Which file?

Post by palmerwallace »

Does anyone know the proper backup choice? I chose the bolded option. Can't recall seeing a UHD with 4 4K options on the same disc with no branching.

Title information
Name: Adaptation
Source file name: 00802.mpls
Duration: 1:55:10
Chapters count: 16
Size: 73.7 GB
Segment count: 2
Segment map: 729,728
File name: Adaptation_t04.mkv

Title information
Source file name: 00801.mpls
Duration: 1:55:10
Size: 73.7 GB
Segment map: 729,728
File name: Adaptation_t03.mkv

Title information
Source file name: 00800.mpls
Duration: 1:54:55
Size: 73.6 GB
Segment map: 727,728
File name: Adaptation_t02.mkv

Title information
Source file name: 00351.mpls
Duration: 1:54:33
Size: 73.3 GB
Segment count: 1
Segment map: 728
File name: Adaptation_t01.mkv
jayper

Re: Adaptation 4K - Which file?

Post by jayper »

The content on a BD/UHD listed out by MakeMKV are either playlists, or individual m2ts files. The segment map in MakeMKV is the list of .m2ts files that make up the playlist. A playlist, does exactly what it sounds like, it is a list of files (m2ts) to play and in what order.

If you were to make a decrypted backup of the disc with MakeMKV and look in the BDMV/STREAM folder inside the backup, you'd find a bunch of files named something like 00005.m2ts (the file names are always #####.m2ts). The numbers shown in the MAKEMKV segment map correspond to the files with the same name. Players like VLC or MPV will play those .m2ts files directly.

All of the segment maps (playlists) that you listed out, all have 728 listed, which is the bulk of the movie. If you played, the files: 729.m2ts and 727.m2ts you would see the exact differences between all of the titles you listed out. My guess is that these are shorter region specific pre-roll.
palmerwallace

Post by palmerwallace »

jayper wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:07 am
The content on a BD/UHD listed out by MakeMKV are either playlists, or individual m2ts files. The segment map in MakeMKV is the list of .m2ts files that make up the playlist. A playlist, does exactly what it sounds like, it is a list of files (m2ts) to play and in what order.

If you were to make a decrypted backup of the disc with MakeMKV and look in the BDMV/STREAM folder inside the backup, you'd find a bunch of files named something like 00005.m2ts (the file names are always #####.m2ts). The numbers shown in the MAKEMKV segment map correspond to the files with the same name. Players like VLC or MPV will play those .m2ts files directly.

All of the segment maps (playlists) that you listed out, all have 728 listed, which is the bulk of the movie. If you played, the files: 729.m2ts and 727.m2ts you would see the exact differences between all of the titles you listed out. My guess is that these are shorter region specific pre-roll.
Never thought about that. Have always just been used to there being only 1 4K file per disc. Thanks!
AngryVirginian

Post by AngryVirginian »

I compared the playlists. The longer one just added one more production company logo at the beginning of the movie.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk