Bullet Train 4K UHD - forced subtitles?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Dingo69

Bullet Train 4K UHD - forced subtitles?

Post by Dingo69 »

Does 'Bullet Train' make use of forced subtitles?

I ripped a copy of the movie using MakeMKV, and I'm usually pretty careful with selecting English forced subtitles.

There are a number of places in the movie where Japanese is spoken, and no English forced subtitles appear.

Anyone else experienced this?
Woodstock

Re: Bullet Train 4K UHD - forced subtitles?

Post by Woodstock »

How do you normally select "forced subtitles"?

There are a number of ways a movie can have "forced subtitles". The most-used way is to include them in a subtitle track by themselves.

If that is not the first subtitle track, a rip will often have them, but they will not be tagged as anything special.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Dingo69

Post by Dingo69 »

I select the check box "Subtitles English (forced only)". Always done it this way for hundreds of discs and have never had an issue.
Screenshot 2022-11-21 145800.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-21 145800.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 5878 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ah. It's VERY RARE for disks to be mastered with proper subtitles, unfortunately.

If you have to chose, the "forced only" is rarely, if ever, used (it IS used in a few though!). Your most usual choice is the "smallest" of the same-language tracks designated, and there will not be any "tagged as forced" subtitles to be found.

My usual way of dealing with this is to grab ALL the subtitles in the language I want, then watch the file to figure out which is the "foreign language only" track. I then process the file (mkvtoolnix unless I'm trying to make it smaller) to tag that track as default. It must be (at least) the FIRST subtitle track for most players, but you can also tag the file as "forced" when using mkvtoolnix.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Dingo69

Post by Dingo69 »

Actually tested my file in MPC-BE and forced subtitles were displayed.

Forced subtitles were not showing up when played through Plex. Guess I'll have to dig into Plex and find out.

Thanks.