Can't rip ANYTHING - I've read forums here for months

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
djblack

Can't rip ANYTHING - I've read forums here for months

Post by djblack »

Hello folks, first post here. Been following this forum for years. Finally have something I can't find answers to...

I purchased the Archgon BU40N slim USB drive, with 1.03 factory firmware. Through the directions found on the guide and many other threads, I was able to flash to 1.00 and everything looked good. Put in a disk to rip and off I went.

The next day, tried 5 other discs, all failed with the typical error:

MakeMKV v1.17.2 win(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=FA108BB7DA63)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as <redacted>MKB20_v60_Deepwater_Horizon_A18F.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

Now, I've read through the forum post here where it outlines all the steps you can execute if you have this problem. I've emailed my dump files numerous times, I've waited as long as 30 days. I've gotten zero success with any rip since that first one. Every single disc I try, fails with the same volume key error. I've reinstalled my OS and MakeMKV. I've flashed the drive to 1.04. I've retried 4 of my UHD discs no less and 5 times in the last 2 months. Still failing. Below is what MakeMKV shows for drive information:

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom1
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: MOALC2B0024
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 11:42
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 68

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I am pulling my hair out trying to get anything working and I've read until my face falls into my keyboard. lol. I feel like I'm doing something stupid because I can't imagine all of my 4K movies won't work.

Thank you for your time!
bill_w

Re: Can't rip ANYTHING - I've read forums here for months

Post by bill_w »

Check Preferences->General->Enable Internet access. If that is not enabled, you can't download volume keys.
djblack

Post by djblack »

bill_w wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:07 am
Check Preferences->General->Enable Internet access. If that is not enabled, you can't download volume keys.
Ten-Four on that. I've checked that over and over. As indicated in the error status you can see the "Loaded content hash table". I don't think that line would be stated as such if internet access was disabled.
demon

Post by demon »

Is your ISP maybe doing something to block connections? If you're on Linux or MacOS, if you run:

Code: Select all

telnet hkdata.fairuse.org 443
what do you get?
bill_w

Post by bill_w »

You should get a Connected response. If you then type "GET /", you should get an error that you requested plain text from an HTTPS port. If you get anything saying that the name could not be resolved, or the connection closes without a response, or it just times out, that is an indication that you are not able to reach the site and are blocked by DNS or a firewall.
djblack

Post by djblack »

bill_w wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:32 pm
You should get a Connected response. If you then type "GET /", you should get an error that you requested plain text from an HTTPS port. If you get anything saying that the name could not be resolved, or the connection closes without a response, or it just times out, that is an indication that you are not able to reach the site and are blocked by DNS or a firewall.
I'm using Windows 10 x64. I am able to telnet to it, and here's the output I got. It started with a blank screen, but appears connected. Then after typing any characters on the keyboard I get....

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Server: nginx/1.14.1
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 21:06:29 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Connection: close

<html>
<head><title>400 Bad Request</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>400 Bad Request</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx/1.14.1</center>
</body>
</html>

Connection to host lost.
mike8675309

Post by mike8675309 »

Yes, a blank screen means you are connected.
Did you get a message from your system when you did that? i.e. some software asking you to confirm you wanted to connect? I'm thinking a local firewall on windows getting in the way.
nate6281

Post by nate6281 »

I just confirmed my firewall was blocking the connection to retrieve the volume keys. I have a Firewalla firewall setup to specifically block any and all connections to/from Russia. For some reason, the servers being used show up as Russian. I had to allow just the specific sites to make MakeMKV work correctly.
provusergala

Post by provusergala »

as far as im concern the app didnt ask for connections with russian sites...maybe you have a virus/trojan in your pc?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You do realize that you're connecting with a Russian site right now, don't you?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging