Re: Top Gun: Maverick

Post by geerlingguy »

pm2017 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:20 pm
Submitted mine this evening. MKB20_v76_Top_Gun-_Maverick_A7D8.tgz amazon
Same here, from Amazon.

Post by 11774138660397877117 »

I submitted The US Amazon Top Gun: Maverick (just 4K UHD) MKB20_v76_Top_Gun-_Maverick_F480.tgz 6.5 hrs ago.
icebreaker374

Post by icebreaker374 »

US Best Buy Steelbook seems to work for me.
WAYFLIX

Post by WAYFLIX »

icebreaker374 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:27 am
US Best Buy Steelbook seems to work for me.
@icebreaker374 What do you mean "seems"? Either it does or it doesn't. This is in reference to the 4K disc.

Picked up BB Steel today. Nada.
Last edited by WAYFLIX on Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magnumchaos

Post by magnumchaos »

I submitted mine this morning. MKB20_v76_Top_Gun-_Maverick_A7D8.tgz
untergeek

Post by untergeek »

geerlingguy wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:34 pm
pm2017 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:20 pm
Submitted mine this evening. MKB20_v76_Top_Gun-_Maverick_A7D8.tgz amazon
Same here, from Amazon.
This is the same dump file mine just generated, too.
peterkirkham

Post by peterkirkham »

I've been ripping DVDs, Blu-Rays and recently 4K UHDs for a few years now, using an Asus BW-16D1HT in an external powered USB 3 enclosure with the flashed firmware to enable LibreDrive. Purchased a copy of MakeMKV -- one of the best value software purchases I've made. Thought I knew what I was doing. Always cleaned my discs before ripping with a microfibre cloth. Some I've got on a 'later' pile -- those are the ones with the visible scratches courtesy of the kids or with evidence of chemical deterioration for an old disc. Generally a good wipe and a clean surface was all that was needed. I used to read the threads telling people to clean their discs with mild amusement. It's not that hard!

Until now. This is the first disc I've had where cleaning was really important. Straight out of the box, the disc is recognised, but while ripping the progress would just stop and the drive would die. The only way back was to power cycle the external housing, close and restart MakeMKV. The thing is that there were no error messages being thrown by MakeMKV (debug is turned on). Upon attempting to re-rip the same thing would happen but after a different amount of progress.

I tried manually setting a slower rip speed, backing up the disc, even just dumping an iso using ImgBurn. All would run into the same issue. An in between each attempt I was cleaning the disc. Alcohol. Dishwashing liquid. Four different microfibre cloths. Gentle rubbing. Vigorous rubbing. At one point I was seriously considering putting the disc into the dishwasher (has anyone ever done this?).

After reading of more threads on this forum, and lots of tearing my hair out, I discovered that the Pioneer drives seem to be more robust at reading. Apparently some drives are just better at coping with imperfections. I figured that my drive was maybe starting to get a little old, perhaps some minor debris near the lens? I was about to go down the route of purchasing one, but figured I try yet more cleaning first. I was convinced this was a hardware issue where my drive just couldn't deal with some invisible chemical residue -- I've never seen a disc surface so mirrored. To my eye it looked perfect.

I have no idea how many times I cleaned this disc and tried it. I've been going on and off for over 24 hours (my wife is super keen to watch the movie). It's well into the double digits; I'd estimate 20 to 30 times I tried.

BUT ... SUCCESS. It eventually worked. No firmware changes. No MakeMKV updates or bugs. No hardware change. Just cleaning... lots and lots of it.

Thought I'd post this here in case anyone else has trouble with this particular disc. There was a thin film of something that I seemed to remove from the disc in the first few cleans. It seems that getting rid of this completely is essential.
DurzoBlint123

Post by DurzoBlint123 »

Just emailed my dump file as well for the Amazon 4k copy. It's a sad day. I was so excited to get this yesterday and I cannot rip it.
I don't have a standalone 4k player. I use my xbox one s when I NEED a disc player. But I really prefer my local Plex rips streaming on my nvidia shields and roku's.
Lebowski76

Post by Lebowski76 »

Mine gets 2/3 through and then fails. Looks like 34GB main feature file size. Output file is 21GB before failure.

Purchased my blu ray from Amazon.

Interestingly, all the featurettes rip just fine.

I see people talking about dump files. Is there something I need to submit so there can be a workaround?
luv2fly3

Post by luv2fly3 »

Dump files relate to being able to even open the disc to begin the rip process. Without the key in place, the encryption won't allow you past the initial disc read and you won't be able to fully open the disc in MakeMKV. The dump file created is used to create the key by the developers. So if you have a disc that opened up and started letting you rip it, then the dump file isn't an issue, and congrats on getting that far! I have a UHD disc from Amazon, which arrived yesterday and I still can't get past the encryption so I assume they just haven't had time to get the key made from the many dump files submitted. Fingers are crossed!!

In the meantime, hey, use the disc!! It hit me yesterday as I sat trying and waiting on the key to be in place. Oh yeah, just put the disc in the player and enjoy the movie or features on it. :lol:
hypermog

Post by hypermog »

Lebowski76 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:15 pm
Mine gets 2/3 through and then fails. Looks like 34GB main feature file size. Output file is 21GB before failure.
I can see that this disc is a 3-layer disc in the 'Disc Information' panel. Your drive might be having a hard time reading the third layer. Maybe try cleaning the disc. But your drive might just have a hard time reading these discs.
GOK25

Post by GOK25 »

Have the european version on hands. Has anybody the file for it: MKB20_v76_Top_Gun-_Maverick_71D3.tgz ?
luv2fly3

Post by luv2fly3 »

Lebowski76 wrote:
Mine gets 2/3 through and then fails. Looks like 34GB main feature file size.
I certainly hope the UHD disc and feature are larger than 34GB. You must be trying to rip the HD version?
WAYFLIX

Post by WAYFLIX »

Lebowski76 wrote:

Purchased my blu ray from Amazon.

Interestingly, all the featurettes rip just fine.

I see people talking about dump files. Is there something I need to submit so there can be a workaround?
The 4k main feature will be a lot bigger than 34GB. Probably closer to 100. You must be using the HD disk.