Top Gun: Maverick

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
WAYFLIX

Re: Top Gun: Maverick

Post by WAYFLIX »

I have successfully backed up both the BestBuy and Walmart discs and submitted both Dumps. Awaiting Keys.
edwolfe3

Post by edwolfe3 »

Dump files from Top Gun: Maverick 2022 4K Ultra HD purchased from Amazon
The output showed:

MakeMKV v1.17.2 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\ed/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=7FA2657C7667)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\ed/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v76_Top_Gun-_Maverick_F480.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
DEBUG: Code 0 at Vea=4mKMwR{FY\\^:29396138
DEBUG: Code 0 at Vea=4mKMwR{FY\\^:121263153
Failed to open disc
Attachments
MKB20_v76_Top_Gun-_Maverick_F480.tgz
(3.4 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
niteflyr

Post by niteflyr »

It's working now!!
WAYFLIX

Post by WAYFLIX »

niteflyr wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:13 pm
It's working now!!
Confirmed, 75.4GB.
untergeek

Post by untergeek »

Mine too. 77238.8M source size.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

It came out in Australia today. I purchased it this morning from JB HiFi and is ripping just fine.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
etc6849

Post by etc6849 »

I had the same problem with my LG non-official UHD drives. Even tried three times with two cleanings.

Tried my Pioneer official UHD drive and it worked the first time.
peterkirkham wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:47 am
I've been ripping DVDs, Blu-Rays and recently 4K UHDs for a few years now, using an Asus BW-16D1HT in an external powered USB 3 enclosure with the flashed firmware to enable LibreDrive. Purchased a copy of MakeMKV -- one of the best value software purchases I've made. Thought I knew what I was doing. Always cleaned my discs before ripping with a microfibre cloth. Some I've got on a 'later' pile -- those are the ones with the visible scratches courtesy of the kids or with evidence of chemical deterioration for an old disc. Generally a good wipe and a clean surface was all that was needed. I used to read the threads telling people to clean their discs with mild amusement. It's not that hard!

Until now. This is the first disc I've had where cleaning was really important. Straight out of the box, the disc is recognised, but while ripping the progress would just stop and the drive would die. The only way back was to power cycle the external housing, close and restart MakeMKV. The thing is that there were no error messages being thrown by MakeMKV (debug is turned on). Upon attempting to re-rip the same thing would happen but after a different amount of progress.

I tried manually setting a slower rip speed, backing up the disc, even just dumping an iso using ImgBurn. All would run into the same issue. An in between each attempt I was cleaning the disc. Alcohol. Dishwashing liquid. Four different microfibre cloths. Gentle rubbing. Vigorous rubbing. At one point I was seriously considering putting the disc into the dishwasher (has anyone ever done this?).

After reading of more threads on this forum, and lots of tearing my hair out, I discovered that the Pioneer drives seem to be more robust at reading. Apparently some drives are just better at coping with imperfections. I figured that my drive was maybe starting to get a little old, perhaps some minor debris near the lens? I was about to go down the route of purchasing one, but figured I try yet more cleaning first. I was convinced this was a hardware issue where my drive just couldn't deal with some invisible chemical residue -- I've never seen a disc surface so mirrored. To my eye it looked perfect.

I have no idea how many times I cleaned this disc and tried it. I've been going on and off for over 24 hours (my wife is super keen to watch the movie). It's well into the double digits; I'd estimate 20 to 30 times I tried.

BUT ... SUCCESS. It eventually worked. No firmware changes. No MakeMKV updates or bugs. No hardware change. Just cleaning... lots and lots of it.

Thought I'd post this here in case anyone else has trouble with this particular disc. There was a thin film of something that I seemed to remove from the disc in the first few cleans. It seems that getting rid of this completely is essential.
edwolfe3

Post by edwolfe3 »

Amazon version works for me now too!
jagman

Post by jagman »

I just attempted to rip my disk from Amazon but it failed to load due to not having the key. I didn't bother with uploading the file since so many already have. Wonder if there are different keys from Amazon?
Last edited by jagman on Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 11774138660397877117 »

jagman wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:14 pm
I just attempted to rip my disk from Amazon but it failed to load due to not having the key. I didn't bother with uploading the file since so many already have. Wonder if there are different keys from Amazon?
Yes. My son's is different from mine though the box and disc appears to be the same and we received them at the same time.
vwheeler

Post by vwheeler »

jagman wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:14 pm
Not sure about different keys... I uploaded mine JIC.
I see there is also firmware hacks does the drive need to be hacked also?
archgon MD-81075-3YC-UHD
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.02
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Finally got my BB SB version and it was already supported so thanks to those who submitted dumps.
jagman

Post by jagman »

Key unknown. Purchased at Amazon
aerandir92

Post by aerandir92 »

peterkirkham wrote:
I've been ripping DVDs, Blu-Rays and recently 4K UHDs for a few years now, using an Asus BW-16D1HT in an external powered USB 3 enclosure with the flashed firmware to enable LibreDrive. Purchased a copy of MakeMKV -- one of the best value software purchases I've made. Thought I knew what I was doing. Always cleaned my discs before ripping with a microfibre cloth. Some I've got on a 'later' pile -- those are the ones with the visible scratches courtesy of the kids or with evidence of chemical deterioration for an old disc. Generally a good wipe and a clean surface was all that was needed. I used to read the threads telling people to clean their discs with mild amusement. It's not that hard!

Until now. This is the first disc I've had where cleaning was really important. Straight out of the box, the disc is recognised, but while ripping the progress would just stop and the drive would die. The only way back was to power cycle the external housing, close and restart MakeMKV. The thing is that there were no error messages being thrown by MakeMKV (debug is turned on). Upon attempting to re-rip the same thing would happen but after a different amount of progress.
My ASUS drive just won't read any discs anymore after the first attempt of reading Maverick failed at around 70%. I've powercycled it, let it be unplugged from power for a while, rebooted the PC etc. The drive shows up in Windows, MakeMKV sees it, but when I enter a disc it just makes a few noises and never spins up properly :(
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

aerandir92 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:13 pm
peterkirkham wrote:

My ASUS drive just won't read any discs anymore after the first attempt of reading Maverick failed at around 70%. I've powercycled it, let it be unplugged from power for a while, rebooted the PC etc. The drive shows up in Windows, MakeMKV sees it, but when I enter a disc it just makes a few noises and never spins up properly :(
The blue laser might have failed. Try first a CD. Then a DVD. And at last a regular BD. If all still work all the lasers are still OK. Which leads to subsequent tests / measures.