LG internal WH16NS40 Blu-Ray drive can't read UHD disc

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Stevelois

LG internal WH16NS40 Blu-Ray drive can't read UHD disc

Post by Stevelois »

Hello,

I have a internal LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray PC drive which I want to rip my new Alien 4K 40 anniversary I just bought. Drive use the firmware version 1.02 and I install the latest version of makemkv (1.17.2), it suppose to work flawlessly.

The problem I have is that the UHD Blu-Ray disc can't be read even if the drive has the 1.02 firmware that support 4K discs. I'm aware of the 1.03 and 1.05 firmware versions but 4K functionality as been removed. This info is from others on various forums who bought the same drive.

I also have the LG BH12LS35 on my older PC and the disc again can't be read. I'm not surprise since it's a older drive and firmware isn't the latest version I think, didn't check.

The thing is that I have all what it take to make the rip, drive firmware compatibility, latest makemkv version, UHD disc in mint condition. I could rip the HD disc without any problem, like always.

I look at few PC hardware website for a 4K internal drive and both of my drive are strongly suggested. So I'm a bit lost there!
Last edited by Stevelois on Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MartyMcNuts

Re: LG internal WH16NS40 Blu-Ray drive can't read UHD disc

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Stevelois wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:21 pm
Hello,

I have a internal WH16NS40 Blu-Ray PC drive which I want to rip my new Alien 4K 40 anniversary I just bought. Drive use the firmware version 1.02 and I install the latest version of makemkv (1.17.2), it suppose to work flawlessly.

The problem I have is that the UHD Blu-Ray disc can't be read even if the drive has the 1.02 firmware that support 4K discs. I'm aware of the 1.03 and 1.05 firmware versions but 4K functionality as been removed. This info is from others on various forums who bought the same drive.

I also have the LG BH12LS35 on my older PC and the disc again can't be read. I'm not surprise since it's a older drive and firmware isn't the latest version I think, didn't check.

The thing is that I have all what it take to make the rip, drive firmware compatibility, latest makemkv version, UHD disc in mint condition. I could rip the HD disc without any problem, like always.

I look at few PC hardware website for a 4K internal drive and both of my drive are strongly suggested. So I'm a bit lost there!
How old is your NS40?
Does the sticker on it say SVC: NS50?
Are you getting any errors in MakeMKV?
Have you ripped any UHD discs before?
Show us your MakeMKV info pane.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

I bought it few years back, don't remember when, firmware was at 1.01 and I update to 1.02 when it was released at the time. Everywhere I read that it is supposed to be able to rip UHD discs if the drive firmware is at 1.02.

The SVC Code is indeed NS50. I didn't update the firmware to a newer version because it look like the 4K capabilities are gone after the flash.

Makemkv just try to read the disc but can't do it apparently. I get no error at all.

Alien is the first UHD disc I'm trying to rip and it's a brand new disc. The box set come with a HD disc and the UHD disc. I ripped the HD disc, no problem.

I've attach the file so you can see what I see in makemkv.
Attachments
BD.JPG
BD.JPG (84.99 KiB) Viewed 10761 times
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Sorry I just seen it is too and does not support UHD discs as it is MT1939

This drive must be dated 2015 onward model and say SVC: NS50 on the drive label to support UHD discs

If your firmware was in 2014 it was to old. If you flashed the drive it will be bricked and the only way to recover it now is dos flash or use the SDF Flasher to recover the drive.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

My account have administrator rights but just for curiosity, I ran it with the administrator account, same issue.

The settings your referring are also enable.

I think that even if the drive is "supposed" to read UHD disc, the hardware seem to miss something. The firmware is at 1.02 BUT the rest of the unit is still much older and UHD (triple and quad layers) was nonexistent when it was produced at the time, meaning the laser beam, mechanically speaking, just don't understand what's going on.

If it was an issue with MakeMkv, or lack of Windows privileges or a faulty drive, even changing settings in the Bios like changing Legacy / secure boot settings, EIDE/ AHCI, SATA access mode and so on (which I've change before posting in this forum), I couldn't rip anything which isn't the case since only the Alien UHD disc seem not to be read. I have 3 drive (2 internal & 1 external) and none of them can't read that disc even if all the others are read without any problem.

I just order the LG WH16NS60 from Amazon since it's an official UHD drive, hoping it will be able to rip the disc!

THX for your help, much appreciate :D
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

I answered Marty but my post is awaiting to be checked by a moderator?

My LG WH16NS40 was bought around 2014- 2015 if I remember correctly. Brief, I just purchase a new LG WH16NS60 unit on Amazon which is an official UHD drive. I should be ok with that new unit.

THX for the help :)
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Stevelois wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:50 pm

My LG WH16NS40 was bought around 2014- 2015 if I remember correctly. Brief, I just purchase a new LG WH16NS60 unit on Amazon which is an official UHD drive. I should be ok with that new unit.

I find the WH16NS60 will read between 90 to 95% of BD100 discs. The Bu40N or a Pioneer drive is more reliable.

Regards

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Stevelois wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:50 pm

Yep, your drive is too old (it's a 2014 drive with MT1939 drive platform) and will never be capable of ripping UHD. You need a drive that is no older than October 2015 and has MT1959 drive platform.

The NS60 will need to be flashed but it is a simple job.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

I've received my new LG WH16NS60, install it and loaded the UHD Alien disc. As expected, the disc is fine, it is the drive that is to old.
lg.JPG
lg.JPG (105.37 KiB) Viewed 10601 times
But now when clicking the big icon at the left, it get stuck and can't decrypt the disc. I presume I must flash the firmware to the latest version for what I understand?
lg2.JPG
lg2.JPG (231.4 KiB) Viewed 10601 times
Last edited by Stevelois on Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

I followed the instruction in this post (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18873#p70284) to flash the firmware to the 1.0 version but couldn't do, I receive this error :
Attachments
error.JPG
error.JPG (33.54 KiB) Viewed 10585 times
Last edited by Stevelois on Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

I also tried to update the firmware with the already 1.03 MK version (viewtopic.php?t=19928) but again, I get an error :
Attachments
error2.JPG
error2.JPG (35.28 KiB) Viewed 10590 times
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

Trying to flash using SDFtool Flasher 1.3.4 with 1.03 MK file, don't work neither :
Attachments
error3.JPG
error3.JPG (54.62 KiB) Viewed 10585 times
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

Trying to flash using SDFtool Flasher 1.3.4 with 1.0 MK file that is included in the pack from this post (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18873#p70284), don't work neither damn it! It look like the 1.03 version from LG as changed since all error I get look related to command queuing. At least, I could make a dump of the actual firmware if anyone can look at it and fix it. The drive as been produced in July 2022 so it's very recent.
Attachments
error4.JPG
error4.JPG (65.73 KiB) Viewed 10582 times
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

Flashed with SDFtool Flasher 1.3.4 worked finally!!!!! I use the same 1.03 MK version from my previous post.

Only reason why it worked that time is because the tray was closed. I didn't close it when I eject the UHD disc from my previous flashing attempts, didn't think it mattered! Now, I'm ripping but those pics will show the concluant steps before I start the rip.
Attachments
uhd.JPG
uhd.JPG (85.16 KiB) Viewed 10579 times
uhd1.JPG
uhd1.JPG (98.53 KiB) Viewed 10579 times
uhd2.JPG
uhd2.JPG (167.51 KiB) Viewed 10579 times
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

Alien as been ripped successfully, file is playing well as expected in VLC :D