Bad Discs or Bad Drive?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
zoah666

Bad Discs or Bad Drive?

Post by zoah666 »

Hi, I've been using MakeMKV and an LG BP60NB10 for several months now ripping my 4K library onto a media server. In total I've probably ripped ~300 discs. I've only run into a few issues, some of which I could fix by cleaning the disc, but I've noted below the ones that I couldn't work around. These seem to be isolated problems. Do you guys think these are bad discs or is my drive going bad? If bad discs, am I just SOL?

Futurama Season 6, Blu-Ray Disc 1, Tracks 4, 6, 8 - Hash error (bought a second set and it threw the same errors on the same disc and tracks)

Game of Thrones Season 5, UHD Disc 2, Track 3 - Hash error

Game of Thrones Season 6, UHD Disc 3 - Disc won't load (just spins at low speed until I eventually eject it)

Game of Thrones Season 7, UHD Disc 2, Tracks 4, 5 - Read errors, Hash errors
dcoke22

Re: Bad Discs or Bad Drive?

Post by dcoke22 »

It is tough to say since each error is unique. That said, I have 3 different drives. It has been my experience that some discs just don't like some drives. My default process now is try to rip with my 'main' drive, which usually works. If that doesn't work, I just try the disc in a different drive. Most of the time (not all the time) the disc works fine in a second, different drive. If it won't work in any of my drives, I resort to cleaning the disc. I think I've only had 2 discs that wouldn't rip and had to be replaced.

As a side note, MakeMKV support ripping from multiple drives at the same time. In Preferences -> IO turn on Ask for Single Drive mode. You can then tie an instance of MakeMKV to a single drive (for the current session) and create a second MakeMKV instance to tie to your other drive. This makes ripping multi-disc seasons of TV shows faster.
ARazorbacks

Post by ARazorbacks »

Funny enough, this thread is a copy/paste from my post in r/makemkv. That's fine, I came here to do just this.

It sounds like I need to purchase another drive. Knowing that I have the LG BP60NB10, is there a second drive you'd suggest? This one has worked great except for this handful of discs. The GoT discs are really giving me trouble for some reason. And unfortunately the only discs I've had problems with are parts of a larger set meaning it would be more difficult to get another disc.

W.r.t. the GoT Season 6 disc that won't load, below are the error messages from my latest attempt where it did actually mount. Previously it would never mount and Windows even acted like there was no disc. Now it's kinda sorta mounted? I don't know what to make of it.

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BP60NB10 1.02 SIM03LCSC4709' at offset '589824'
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BP60NB10 1.02 SIM03LCSC4709' at offset '589824'
udf: node fe/efe failed!
udf: udf mount: Metadata file not readable, substituting Metadata copy file
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/AACS/MKB_RO.inf' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/AACS/Content000.cer' at offset '0'
Using direct disc access mode
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BP60NB10 1.02 SIM03LCSC4709' at offset '140378112'
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BP60NB10 1.02 SIM03LCSC4709' at offset '140427264'
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/BDMV/JAR/89020.jar' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/BDMV/JAR/89020.jar' at offset '0'
ARazorbacks

Post by ARazorbacks »

Quick update, I got a replacement GoT box and the remaining discs all ripped with no problem. Definitely a disc issue. Not sure what I’m going to do about the Futurama disc with issues.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

ARazorbacks wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:40 am
It sounds like I need to purchase another drive. Knowing that I have the LG BP60NB10, is there a second drive you'd suggest? This one has worked great except for this handful of discs.
A Pioneer drive from the list in Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide would definitely be different from what you have.

LG makes the desktop drives for LG and ASUS and a bunch of others, so they're all pretty much the same. The BU40N has different innards since it is a different form factor. Pioneer makes their own innards. That said, I have a LG WH16NS60 on LG firmware and an ASUS BW-16D1HT on ASUS firmware. Even though those drives are basically the same, sometimes one drive will read a disc that the other won't. There are so many variables it is almost impossible to know why one works or doesn't work sometimes.

The LG BU40N is a well regarded drive. Even though your LG BP60NB10 is a slim drive, I do not know if it is the same innards as a BU40N. There are others on this forum who would know, however, so perhaps they can comment.
by96$

Post by by96$ »

I have been using an BU40N for awhile now but after running into problems with GoT, I added a Pioneer drive. One GoT disk was not even seen by my BU40N, which is a highly regarded drive on this forum and has worked wonderfully for me, but the Pioneer had zero issue ripping the same disc the first time. I 100% agree with the suggestion to have two different drives to better ensure success.

Thank you for the info about using two at the same time. I had wondered about that but never looked it into it.