DV Titles and MakeMKV 1.17.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
vjunkie

DV Titles and MakeMKV 1.17.1

Post by vjunkie »

So I have read different threads in here on the current handling with dolby vision and makemkv 1.17.1.

I am relatively new to ripping uhd titles with DV, so as of now, If I just rip the main title with true hd 7.1 sound to an mkv, and then stream it directly from my PC to my Nvidia Shield Pro ( 2019 version ), which uses VLC software to play the file, is it going to pick up the DV?

If not, what is the easiest way to convert a title with DV to a lossless format? Both my shield and tv are capable of playing all the known 4k , hdr10+ , dolby vision, hlg etc.

So does makemkv currently rip dv titles correctly to mkv that players are picking it up? Or are they playing in HDR10?.

Thanks
jayper

Re: DV Titles and MakeMKV 1.17.1

Post by jayper »

I have no idea if VLC can playback Vision files on the Nvidia Shield. Many other users report success with Plex, so you might need to give that a try.

To answer your initial question, yes, MakeMKV can and does rip Dolby Vision and will properly store it in an MKV container. Playback on the other hand is a whole different ballgame. It is highly dependent on the player hardware, and the software used for playback.
1wayjonny

Re: DV Titles and MakeMKV 1.17.1

Post by 1wayjonny »

Hi,

I can help.

Yes Nvidia shield with Plex can play Dolby vision files. In fact its the only device that I am aware of that can do this. So you will have no problem seeing DV turn off and make use of per file. Nvidia and Plex worked on the DV together and that code has not made it other Plex devices or software. Shield Pro only.

That being said I am supper happy that the new Windows build of Plex player has a total revamp and can do on the fly refresh rates switching, HDR auto on/off when playing files etc. Doing this in Windows 11 and works great on the OLED.

The windows app is very close to the shield app now minus the DV.

TLDR

Shield = DV & HDR, on the fly refresh rates switching
Windows = HDR, on the fly refresh rates switching

Audio bitstream/passthrough available on both.