Event Horizon UK/EU 4K

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
medikoo

Re: Event Horizon UK/EU 4K

Post by medikoo »

Nonethless, it'll be great to receive some statement from MakeMKV app authors which review the dumps we send, and know the reason why this disc is not supported.

If I see correctly it is the only 4K UHD disc that cannot be backed up. That's quite surprising precedence
Alex_AU

Post by Alex_AU »

I gave up, downloaded the trial version of DVDFab and ripped it without any problems. You get 3 free rips with trial so I still have 2 left for any future "stubborn" disks that MakeMKV won't like.
medikoo

Post by medikoo »

Alex_AU wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:43 pm
I gave up, downloaded the trial version of DVDFab and ripped it without any problems. You get 3 free rips with trial so I still have 2 left for any future "stubborn" disks that MakeMKV won't like.
Alex, did you downgrade your drive firmware for that? I have LG WH16NS60 with firmware patched to LibreDrive (so UHD backups are possible with MakeMKV), yet DVDFab complains it's not a compliant firmware and asks me to downgrade it via their firmware update tool
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

medikoo wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:34 am
Alex_AU wrote:
Alex, did you downgrade your drive firmware for that? I have LG WH16NS60 with firmware patched to LibreDrive (so UHD backups are possible with MakeMKV), yet DVDFab complains it's not a compliant firmware and asks me to downgrade it via their firmware update tool
yeah you need wh16ns60 1.00 for other rippers
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Alex_AU

Post by Alex_AU »

medikoo wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:34 am
Alex_AU wrote:
I have the LG BU40N with unpatched firmware 1.0 so didn't have to do anything. Ripped without any issues.
mwebb

Post by mwebb »

Alex_AU wrote:
I gave up, downloaded the trial version of DVDFab and ripped it without any problems.
Good news that it clearly can be ripped, though perhaps even stranger that makemkv still can't handle it?
T1001800

Post by T1001800 »

I have an LG WH16NS40 which has been patched to LibreDrive Firmware WH16NS60_1.02-MK.
This combination has worked flawlessly with all 4K UHD discs I have purchased - until the UK/German EVENT HORIZON 4K UHD disc.

Following the suggestions in this thread I downgraded to WH16NS60 1.00 Firmware and tried to backup the disc with DVDFab Passkey.
However, this also failed due to countless read errors with the disc.

Then I flashed Firmware WH16NS60_1.02-MK once again and managed to backup the EVENT HORIZON 4K UHD disc successfully with the following procedure.
These steps might also work for you, if you do not want to or cannot downgrade your Firmware to be able to use DVDFab Passkey.

1. Use MakeMKV to create a full "Backup" of the disc, but do not enable the option to decrypt the files (so that the files on the HDD/SSD are still copy-protected).

2. Use IMGBurn to create an ISO image of the backed-up files and folders (UDF format 2.50).

3. Mount the newly created ISO image within Windows as virtual optical disc drive (usually just double-click the ISO within Windows-Explorer).

4. Start DVDFab Passkey and as disc drive select the virtual drive with the mounted ISO. Open the virtual disc.

5. Use DVDFab to copy the virtual disc into a new ISO image, but now select to decrypt the files.

6. Mount the newly created (now decrypted!) ISO image within Windows as virtual optical disc drive (usually just double-click the ISO within Windows-Explorer).

7. Open MakeMKV and as disc drive select the virtual drive with the mounted (decrypted) ISO.

8. Now you can use MakeMKV to convert the desired titles to MKV as usual.
Last edited by T1001800 on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwebb

Post by mwebb »

T1001800 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:50 pm
These steps might also work for you, if you do not want to or cannot downgrade your Firmware to be able to use DVDFab Passkey.
Worked for me. Thanks very much for the tip.
mwebb

Post by mwebb »

Updated to new release 1.17.4 and still no joy with this disc.