What player should I use for UHD playback (straight from disc)?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
rarino5

Post by rarino5 »

From what I understand, MakeMKV should be able to decrypt UHD disks in real time, such that an external player can play them? Which players are good for this? - I have not been able to get it to work. I tried playing back in Kodi, (yes, after adding/enabling/[appropriate term-ing] it in MakeMKV preferences), but no cigar. Unless I was doing something wrong, MPV didn't seem to be able to play discs, and MPC-HC says development has been cut since 2017... is that still the best option? etc.

My copy of the Matrix is able to be ripped - which I am doing now, just to double check that the disc is good, so afaik, this isn't a problem of user error... but that's the whole point of user error.

Speaking of user error - if no-one minds - may I ask why I might have only been able to get my copy of The Matrix in 4K to be read by my drive? After trying The Dark Knight, Rogue One, Bladerunner, and Tenet, only the Matrix has worked... could this be due to disc region (I live in Australia)? Because I would have thought these discs would be too popular to have not been dumped and emailed, etc.

Cheers,
dcoke22

Re: What player should I use for UHD playback (straight from disc)?

Post by dcoke22 »

Why ask twice using two different accounts?