LOTR 4k Disks or LG BD-RE WH14NS40 problem?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
rbmcgee

LOTR 4k Disks or LG BD-RE WH14NS40 problem?

Post by rbmcgee »

Hi all,

I just received my LOTR 4k set from amazon and began ripping the Extended Editions to my server. I've read the long LOTR thread and understand that these disks can have problems ripping.

Drive: BD-RE WH14NS40 with patched 1.02 firmware
MakeMKV: 16.7

FOTR 2, TTT 1 and 2, ROTK 1 have all ripped successfully.
FOTR 1 and ROTK 2 have failed with both "OS errors" and "scsi errors"

All disks have been cleaned before ripping.

Obviously I have a problem. Either the specific disks are bad, the drive is bad or the combination of these disks and this drive do not work well together.

My intent is to either return the disks to amazon for replacement and/or buy a new LG Bu40n from amazon and flash it. I guess I could use a second 4k ripping drive anyway.

If you were me which corrective action would you attempt first?
mikewilzn

Re: LOTR 4k Disks or LG BD-RE WH14NS40 problem?

Post by mikewilzn »

Really make sure you thoroughly cleaned them and then you might have to try a few times before they rip successfully. I remember having issues with those discs as well.
micks_address

Post by micks_address »

Hi folks,
Having issues with these discs as well. Error OS error - status device not connected...
Drive seems fine with other discs
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Are you ripping just the title track with the movie or making a backup of the ISO? A couple of times I've had issues ripping a title, I'll switch to the ISO backup, and then open and rip the title from that. Still doesn't work 90% of the time, but there's always a chance!
rbmcgee

Post by rbmcgee »

Good News!

I was just ripping the title, best audio and english subs.

I asked amazon for a replacement, it just arrived and I've successfully ripped FOTR1 EE and am now sailing thru ROTK2 EE.

This disks were squeaky clean. Must have been a microscratch that I could not see.