Drive not reading discs

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
snaperkids

Drive not reading discs

Post by snaperkids »

I'm having an issue with my drive. It's an Asus BW-16D1ht. It was working fine for weeks after I reflashed the firmware with LibreDrive. It will read DVD's without an issue, but BluRays are a complete no go. I opened the drive to ensure everything was still good, and I didn't see anything obviously wrong. I cleaned the lenses, but that didn't solve the issue. I also ran it with the metal housing off, and the laser was in fact lasing. I'm not sure what is going on.
Woodstock

Re: Drive not reading discs

Post by Woodstock »

DVDs and BDs use different lasers on that drive. It's possible that the BD laser has died.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
snaperkids

Post by snaperkids »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:36 pm
DVDs and BDs use different lasers on that drive. It's possible that the BD laser has died.
I was worried about that, so I opened it up to check for the blue laser. The blue laser is shining, so the LED isn't dead.
Cpt.Awesome

Post by Cpt.Awesome »

I have the same problem, but with UHD discs. I have two of these drives, both have the 3.10 firmware and libredrive enabled, but neither will read UHD discs anymore at all. I can still read and rip regular Blu Rays and DVDs, but UHD discs have ceased to even be recognized.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If the drive reads BDs, it's BD laser is working. It SHOULD work with UHD, too, since they use the same laser.

If they've stopped, and you didn't change the firmware recently (non-UHD firmware doesn't work for UHD drives to read UHD), that's weird.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
peterkirkham

Post by peterkirkham »

Cpt.Awesome wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:58 pm
I have the same problem, but with UHD discs. I have two of these drives, both have the 3.10 firmware and libredrive enabled, but neither will read UHD discs anymore at all. I can still read and rip regular Blu Rays and DVDs, but UHD discs have ceased to even be recognized.
I recently ran into an issue where this drive had stopped (I thought) reading UHD discs. Both Top Gun (1986) and Top Gun - Maverick (2022) would stop ripping at different points, and the drive would just hang. Only a power cycle would fix it. Eventually, after much disc cleaning -- and I mean A LOT of disc cleaning -- I was able to get both of them to rip. Which suggests that there is nothing wrong with MakeMKV, and possibly nothing wrong with the drive either. Just an unlucky set of UHD discs that needed more tlc than usual.

Of course your mileage may vary...