Turning Red 4K UHD: read errors

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
thinksinc

Turning Red 4K UHD: read errors

Post by thinksinc »

Has anyone successfully ripped Pixar's Turning Red 4K UHD?

I keep getting read errors on the disc at specific sections, and eventually it isn't able to get any further. The disc is clean, never touched the surface, and has no visible defects on it.

I returned the disc to Target and bought another copy at Best Buy, and had the same issue. I've also tried ripping on two different drives, one on a Mac and one on a PC. Same issue.

I even tried using DVD Fab 12 instead of MakeMKV, and it also failed to rip the disc.

Anyone else had any luck?
trvmm

Re: Turning Red 4K UHD: read errors

Post by trvmm »

I'm having the same issue. I get about 26GB into the rip and get this error:

Code: Select all

Error 'OS error - {Device Timeout} The specified I/O operation on hs was not completed before the time-out period expired' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00155.m2ts' at offset '80277504'
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Sometimes even brand new, just out of the package discs will have a film or deposits on them from either the manufacturing process or off-gassing from the plastic case. Try gently cleaning the disc.

Personally, I use liquid dish soap, warm water, and very light pressure from my fingertip to clean the disc. I only move my fingertip in a straight line from the center, to the edge, and back again. I rinse throughly with warm water. I dry the label side with a paper towel and use a can of air to blast water off the data side so I don't have to touch it again.
eNoize

Post by eNoize »

I'm literally having the exact same problem where reaches around 20GB and suddenly stops with an error message. At first, I thought there was something wrong with the disc, so I returned it to Best Buy and swapped it for another brand new UHD package. The same issue is happening with this brand-new, unplayed disc, but this time it stopped with an error message at around 12GB.
eNoize

Post by eNoize »

Even after cleaning the disc, it still won't rip.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

eNoize wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:13 am
Can you post your MakeMKV log?
eNoize

Post by eNoize »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:52 pm
eNoize wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:13 am
Can you post your MakeMKV log?
Here is the error message I receive:
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00100.m2ts' at offset '676915200'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '676915200'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '676915200'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00100.m2ts' at offset '677050368'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '677050368'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '677050368'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00100.m2ts' at offset '677050368'
I just finished ripping the Hitchcock Collection Vol. 2 - 4K UHD without issue. I am going to try again on another UHD drive in my office.
1_mg_1

Post by 1_mg_1 »

I'm seeing the exact same thing with my turning red 4k disc. I'm getting read errors about 20GB into it and I've tried it with two different drives. It looks to me this disc has some sort of bad sector protection.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The errors you are seeing (eNoise) are common when there is an issue reading the disk at the speed it "wants" to be read. You will often see them move slightly, because the disk will hit different "sequences" that cause it to fail, as it blazes faster than its power supply can support.

You can often "fix" the issue by doing things that slow the writing of the read. For example, saving to a (large enough) flash drive will slow the disk read rate enough to make it work with the power available.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
eNoize

Post by eNoize »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:17 pm
The errors you are seeing (eNoise) are common when there is an issue reading the disk at the speed it "wants" to be read. You will often see them move slightly, because the disk will hit different "sequences" that cause it to fail, as it blazes faster than its power supply can support.

You can often "fix" the issue by doing things that slow the writing of the read. For example, saving to a (large enough) flash drive will slow the disk read rate enough to make it work with the power available.
I think you might be right. Here is the message when attempting on another drive:
Error 'OS error - {Device Timeout} The specified I/O operation on hs was not completed before the time-out period expired' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00100.m2ts' at offset '677050368'
Error 'OS error - {Device Timeout} The specified I/O operation on hs was not completed before the time-out period expired' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '677050368'
Error 'OS error - {Device Timeout} The specified I/O operation on hs was not completed before the time-out period expired' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '677050368'
They are the same sectors showing as in my primary drive. I'm gonna test your "fix" with an external HDD. Fingers crossed.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It's suspicious that it says the failure occurs at 677050368 on both drives; that usually points to an actual disk error. When it happens at different locations each rip, that's usually tied to the drive trying to go faster than it has power to.

A specific "spot" on a disk points to a bad sector, or a glitch that covers a sector. I'd exchange the disk (if possible), or clean it thoroughly with soapy water in any case.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
eNoize

Post by eNoize »

Sadly, the "fix" didn't work, and this is my second disc. I'm gonna try a third time with yet another disc. Hopefully, the third time will be the charm. :?
CrazyWookiee

Post by CrazyWookiee »

Have you tried another disc yet? I'm also having problems ripping it.
mike12086

Post by mike12086 »

Has anyone had success ripping this? We got ours from Disney. The regular Bluray was not an issue the 4k makes about a 20gb file and then fails with 30 read errors and 6 hashcheck errors. Tried in two different drives (both same model) with same issue.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

which drives on what firmware do you have guys?