Godfather II & III issues

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
omk1980

Godfather II & III issues

Post by omk1980 »

Having issues making backups of the 2nd and 3rd movie. Was able to get godfather 1. I see a slight scratch on godfather 2, but 3 looks good to my eye, i've cleaned it several times but i'm getting this error:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 1.01 M69J3P35816' at offset '33012318208'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/AACS/DUPLICATE/Content001.cer' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 1.01 M69J3P35816' at offset '33012776960'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/AACS/DUPLICATE/ContentHash001.tbl' at offset '456704'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 1.01 M69J3P35816' at offset '33012842496'

I'll try and see if i can get replacements, but wanted to check to see if others are having similar issues.
Razor483

Re: Godfather II & III issues

Post by Razor483 »

I have the same problem but only with the first Godfather disk. The Other two disks work fine…. Very frustrating. I think I may have to return the set as defective.
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

Getting a replacement. Will see how it goes. Was worried my BD drive was going so it's reassuring to see other w the same issue.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Rip errors post

Your drive was probably having trouble correctly reading a spot on the disc. The disc was probably dirty (even if it was brand new). Gently cleaning discs is always good. In my experience, some discs and drives don't get along well together. This is why I now have 3 different drives. Often, discs that fail to rip in one drive will rip fine in another drive.
Last edited by dcoke22 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

any recommendations for cleaning disc, used some mild soap and water. i've also heard white vinegar can help. using a soft microfiber cloth as well.

The godfather movies are on 100gb triple layer discs. Sometimes when i put them in my wh16ns60, makemkv says there is no useable drive and i'll have to restart makemkv, open the drive tray, and close it again.

Drive info here:

OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: M69J3P35816
Firmware date: 2117-11-20 20:00
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

Libredrive info:
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Don't have an extra drive, but thinking these 100gb discs are more problematic.
Last edited by omk1980 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I use plenty of liquid dish soap and water. I lightly use my finger tip to 'scrub' in a straight line from the center to the edge and back again. This means I'm effectively moving my fingertip perpendicular to the way data is layed out on the disc. I do this so if I happen to scratch the disc (which is unlikely), I minimize how much consecutive data I destroy. I rinse completely then lay the label side down on a towel to dry the label side. On the data side, I dry it by using a can of air to blow the water off.
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:23 am
I use plenty of liquid dish soap and water. I lightly use my finger tip to 'scrub' in a straight line from the center to the edge and back again. This means I'm effectively moving my fingertip perpendicular to the way data is layed out on the disc. I do this so if I happen to scratch the disc (which is unlikely), I minimize how much consecutive data I destroy. I rinse completely then lay the label side down on a towel to dry the label side. On the data side, I dry it by using a can of air to blow the water off.
just edited my post, any clue why my drive will occasionally not be recognized? disc is seen in windows, occasionally not in makemkv. Was just able to rip a 4k version of nightmare alley today
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Are you using speed control in makemkv? If so turn it off or make the setting for triple layer discs 2x to slow it down. It may or may not help.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:33 am
Are you using speed control in makemkv? If so turn it off or make the setting for triple layer discs 2x to slow it down. It may or may not help.

Away from my PC. Where is that option?

Also, if I purchase another drive in an external enclosure, what drive would you recommend? Have had good luck w my wh16ns60 up until these discs.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It's set using registry entries so if you didn't explicitly set it, then it's disabled.

As for drives I only recommend bu40n or pioneer drives these days. Pioneer are slower but read very well. The bu40n is like a tank. It reads everything I've thrown at it except physically damaged discs.

omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

Very cool. How about the 2x read for triple layer discs?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:41 pm
Read this:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22689
Thanks. Doesn't seem to make a difference. i can make out a little scratch on the replacement discs too. Wonder if this is a manufacturing defect.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Could be. I read mine in my Pioneer drive and didn't have any issues. I make ISO images of my discs and make the MKV's from that. That won't really help you in this case I'm sure but if you do want to try it, do the following:

-Load up MakeMKV, select the disc you want to make an ISO image of. It'll bring you to the title selection screen. You can either leave MakeMKV open or close it after you see the title selection screen. Make sure NOT to eject the disc or power cycle the drive at this point.
-Load up ImgBurn, select create image from disc, and select the disc you opened with MakeMKV. You can select a max read speed in ImgBurn if you want to try. Don't select anything below 2x, even if it lets you.
-Once the image is created, you can close MakeMKV and eject the disc.

This is likely to fail, as well, but, it's always worth a try.
UHDRips

Post by UHDRips »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:01 pm
Could be. I read mine in my Pioneer drive and didn't have any issues. I make ISO images of my discs and make the MKV's from that. That won't really help you in this case I'm sure but if you do want to try it, do the following:

-Load up MakeMKV, select the disc you want to make an ISO image of. It'll bring you to the title selection screen. You can either leave MakeMKV open or close it after you see the title selection screen. Make sure NOT to eject the disc or power cycle the drive at this point.
-Load up ImgBurn, select create image from disc, and select the disc you opened with MakeMKV. You can select a max read speed in ImgBurn if you want to try. Don't select anything below 2x, even if it lets you.
-Once the image is created, you can close MakeMKV and eject the disc.

This is likely to fail, as well, but, it's always worth a try.
Hi SamuriHL can I ask which pioneer drive do you use