OS X IPC Error when ripping Star Wars Rise of Skywalker

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
guy brown

OS X IPC Error when ripping Star Wars Rise of Skywalker

Post by guy brown »

Hey all,

I am having issues copying Star Wars Rise of Skywalker 4K.

I have tried two separate copies of the disc and have tried multiple times with each disc.

I understand that a OS X IPC Error is a communication issue between the OS and the drive. The drive is in an OWC powered USB enclosure and I have not had this before and have been able to copy every other disc I have tried without issue.

However, with this disc it happens each and every time. Has anyone else had this issue with this disc? Or know what the problem is? Or how to solve it?

Here are the details:

MakeMKV v1.16.5 darwin(x64-release) started
Optical drive "BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 KLRL1BE2732d" opened in OS access mode.
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=0FA242DD4D0B)
Backing up disc into folder "/Movies/backup/THE_RISE_OF_SKYWALKER"
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
File "/dummy_f.dat" was skipped
Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00669.m2ts' at offset '30141186048'
Failed to save title /BDMV/STREAM/00669.m2ts to file /Movies/backup/THE_RISE_OF_SKYWALKER/BDMV/STREAM/00669.m2ts
Encountered 31 errors of type 'OS X IPC Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/ipc/
Backup done but 1 files failed hash check
dcoke22

Re: OS X IPC Error when ripping Star Wars Rise of Skywalker

Post by dcoke22 »

I have ripped that disc in 2020 on a Mac with a desktop optical drive in a powered OWC enclosure. Is your OWC enclosure really USB powered or does it have a separate power supply powering it?
guy brown

Post by guy brown »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:43 pm
I have ripped that disc in 2020 on a Mac with a desktop optical drive in a powered OWC enclosure. Is your OWC enclosure really USB powered or does it have a separate power supply powering it?
It has a separate power supply.

This is the one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XRCCV44/
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I have the same enclosure as you (two of them, actually).

I pulled my 4K copy off my self and ripped it again using MakeMKV 1.16.5 on macOS Big Sur on Intel using an ASUS BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.10 in an external OWC enclosure connected via USB. It completed without error. When I last ripped this movie, I probably did with my LG drive on an older version of MakeMKV on an older version of macOS.

Do you have a different drive you can try? Have you tried cleaning the disc? Perhaps try using a different USB port of your Mac?
guy brown

Post by guy brown »

It's not an issue with a dirty/faulty disc as I've tried two separate discs and the same issue occurs.

However it looks like this may have been an OS issue.

I have Monterey installed on an unsupported Mac using Open Core Patcher. I re-ran the post-install volume patch again and it seems to fix the issue.

It makes sense since the patcher updates the OS drivers but not sure what is so different about this particular disc that causes an issue while all other discs seem to have copied fine?!

All sorted now though, thanks for the help
RaphaelLouis

Post by RaphaelLouis »

guy brown wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:14 am
It's not an issue with a dirty/faulty disc as I've tried two separate discs and the same issue occurs.

However it looks like this may have been an OS issue.

I have Monterey installed on an unsupported Mac using Open Core Patcher. I re-ran the post-install volume patch again and it seems to fix the issue.

It makes sense since the patcher updates the OS drivers but not sure what is so different about this particular disc that causes an issue while all other discs seem to have copied fine?!

All sorted now though, thanks for the help
My issue was also with a Star Wars disk. Disk 3 of the "Star Wars - The complete saga", "Revenge of the sith".