"The Incredibles" (4K) audio glitch at 1:02:28 (Atmos track)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
VarHD

"The Incredibles" (4K) audio glitch at 1:02:28 (Atmos track)

Post by VarHD »

Before I buy another copy assuming the disc is bad, I would like to ask anyone who owns the 4K disc of "The Incredibles" (the first movie) if you also have a short audio glitch (a quick audio drop for a fraction of a second) at 01:02:28?

In the past MakeMKV had this problem which could cause audio drop-outs in places where two file chunks were stitched together, but this is not the case here because this happens within one chunk, specifically it's the 00075.m2ts file. It's happens around the 17-18 second mark in that file so it's not a bad stitching problem. It's quite a big issue because not only is it annoying, but it actually stops the playback in Plex. Only MakeMKV can keep playing the file when it happens, but in Plex I have to manually move forward by a second for it to continue. Very weird.

As I've said, I'm not sure if this is a case of a bad disc because there are no errors when ripping it or making a backup, but it might not be an issue with a damaged disc, but rather simply bad mastering so the file is like that on the disc. Either way, if anyone has the option to check this, please let me know, I don't want to re-buy the disc if it turns out everyone has the same problem.
DeadPixel

Re: "The Incredibles" (4K) audio glitch at 1:02:28 (Atmos track)

Post by DeadPixel »

I can check a UK disc, what region is yours from?

UPDATE: no audio drop in a disc sourced from the UK
VarHD

Post by VarHD »

DeadPixel wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:45 pm
I can check a UK disc, what region is yours from?
It's from the UK as well (purchased at Zavvi, part of their Disney series).

Thanks for checking, then it seems that my disc is bad, I'll get a new one.
DeadPixel

Post by DeadPixel »

exact same source :D

just to double check I'm checking the correct section, he is running across a bridge getting shot by black blobs?

Do you get the audio drop when playing the disc in an official player?
VarHD

Post by VarHD »

DeadPixel wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:06 am
just to double check I'm checking the correct section, he is running across a bridge getting shot by black blobs?
Yes, that's the spot. The moment he falls on his face, the audio cuts off for less than a second. It only happens with the main Atmos track, if I pick a different audio track, there's no such error.
DeadPixel wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:06 am
Do you get the audio drop when playing the disc in an official player?
Unfortunately, I don't have a real official player, I rip all discs I buy directly onto my PC and then use Plex to watch the movies. As I've said, considering that I can reproduce this issue when playing the 00075.m2ts chunk file from a backup and I tried ripping it multiple times, I'm assuming it's just some bad sector/part on the disc and it's ripped exactly as it is. I'll post an update once I have a new disc.
MRX_BD_07

Post by MRX_BD_07 »

I don't have a real official player, I rip all discs I buy directly onto my PC and then use Plex to watch the movies.
What player do you use? Plex Media Player (old mpv), Plex for Windows (new mpv), Plex HTPC (new mpv)? If you use PMP, it´s probably the bitrate, that is too high at this spot in the movie!
If it jumps over 11mbit, the old ffmpeg logic can not handle it correctly and therefore it stops playback (but only with passthrough enabled, decoding in mpv and sending it as a pcm signal is fine).
If you like you can also "debug" the hole thing with the standalone mpv player. Just download a (old and new) version of mpv here (https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-pl ... s/release/) and run:

Code: Select all

c:/path/to/unziped/mpv/mpv.com /path/to/The Incredibles.mkv --vo=gpu --hwdec=auto --audio-spdif=truehd,ac3 --v
with either version, but make sure not to use the mpv.exe as it is the gui version with no cli output. At the spot in the movie you should see a message like

Code: Select all

[ffmpeg] not implemented
in the cli output. With a newer version of mpv (build with a newer version of ffmpeg) it should play fine. (but the new ffmpeg logic is not perfect => https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/9569)
VarHD

Post by VarHD »

I'm using the new Plex for Windows player.

Anyway, update - I just got a new disc and unfortunately it has the exact same issue in the exact same spot so... @DeadPixel, just to clarify, when you verified it on your end, did you verify the ripped version playing the Atmos track or did you check the disc it in an official player?