The Guns of Navarone

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
bnormal1

The Guns of Navarone

Post by bnormal1 »

Getting ready to rip The Guns of Navarone 4k US Retail. I notice that there are a few listings for the main feature which are confusing. I understand there are 2 cuts of the movie on this disc. That's not what I'm referring to...I'm referring to the shorter cut which lists the 2 different options:

FPL_MainFeature_UR_A
FPL_MainFeature_UR_B

They are exactly the same length with the same segment map however, the source file names are different. Audio options appear to be the same as well as subs....I see no other differences.

I've looked on the internet for any explanation but found nothing....anyone know what this may be regarding? Meanwhile, I'm going to rip both and look for any differences. thanks
csekar15

Re: The Guns of Navarone

Post by csekar15 »

Were you able to solve this? I have the same question. There are two files with UR and two files with R (R_A and R_B)
Kpalsm

Post by Kpalsm »

I'm now dealing with this issue, not sure which to use. Both versions, with and without the intermission, have an A and B, so there are a total of four "MainFeature" tracks. The A and B of both versions appear identical on paper, same segment map etc. Anyone ever figure out what's what? I'm just going to rip the "A" of each for now and keep the backup of the disc.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I don't have this title and I can't find it listed on any of the usual databases, but I'd guess there's a region A playlist and a region B playlist for both the UnRated version and the R-rated version?

First question: Does the disc menu present you with a choice of country when it first loads up? If so it's likely using that choice to play the appropriate version automatically (or it may be using the region code of the player)?

Second question: Are the segment maps identical between the two versions in question?

If not, try playing the first non-matching segments from the backup folder to see if you can spot any difference.

If the segment maps are identical, it's likely a difference in subtitles (American spelling versus the correct spelling, for example :wink: ).
Kpalsm

Post by Kpalsm »

Thanks for your reply. On the 4k disc there isn't a choice of regions in the menu, but the menu does ask you to choose between two versions of the film, one with an "intermission card" of about 5 minutes halfway through, and the other with a fade from "part one" to "part two". You can select with intermission or without, but not region. This was expected, and you are correct that there is an R version and an UR version, but each of those also has an A and B on the disc and this is what I'm uncertain about. As I said there are actually 4 tracks to choose from on the disc:

FPL_MainFeature_UR_A,
FPL_MainFeature_UR_B,
FPL_MainFeature_R_A,
FPL_MainFeature_R_B.

The two UR tracks are the shorter version and the two R tracks are with the intermission. The two URs are the same and the two Rs are the same; the segment maps for A and B of each version are the same, but the version with intermission uses a different segment map than the one without; the middle segment is different (one with the intermission card and one with a fade instead).

It's strange that there's so little information about this release online, it was a struggle just to figure out the track titles and I'm still missing the titles of some extras. I'd like to figure it all out and submit it to DiscDB.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Seeing as MakeMKV hides any second or subsequent video track(s), we can assume that if the segment maps are identical then the video tracks must also be identical (respectively).

Assuming the chapter-count and timecodes are also the same between the two similar pairs of playlists, then it's time to count audio and subtitle tracks in each playlist and compare that to the content of the individual segments.

It probably isn't the case here but it's not impossible for some titles to have, for example, an original soundtrack and a US-dubbed soundtrack.

However, my guess is that you'll find an extra English subtitle track in the segments than is in each playlist.

IE., the segments will have a English subtitle track with US spelling and another with British spelling, but each playlist will only choose the track appropriate for either region A or region B.

Unfortunately, the only way to confirm that theory is to rip both playlists, extract the subtitles and compare them line-by-line. You'll likely find that both English subtitle tracks have the same number of lines but the file size may be a few kb's different?