No Disc. HELP!

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Twinflicks

No Disc. HELP!

Post by Twinflicks »

So I just dl the software. I put in my 4KUHD disc and after a couple of minutes loading it says "No Disc" whats happening? How do I fix this?

Thanks
Paul
Woodstock

Re: No Disc. HELP!

Post by Woodstock »

Do you have a UHD-capable drive? What you describe is typical for trying to read a UHD disk in a regular Bluray drive.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Twinflicks

Post by Twinflicks »

I did purchase a external 4KUHD drive and it wouldn't recognize it. Do I need to get an internal UHD drive?
Twinflicks

Post by Twinflicks »

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Twinflicks wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:47 am
Will this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJWRW4W/re ... 0E2SYTYT6E
it will work but needs to be flashed first see guide below but dont pay $40 extra for a cable and screws just get the bare drive and buy that stuff separate

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-Electronics ... 951&sr=8-2
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That drive is what is called a "UHD Official", and it can play UHD disks with officially licensed software. Hint: your operating system, by itself, is not licensed to read UHD disks, so it will say "No Disk" when it tries. If you're running the cyberlink software listed on that page, it will find the disk and let you play it. But it won't let you rip the disk.

A "UHD Friendly" drive will be able to see the contents of the disk. That drive CAN have its firmware changed to be "UHD Friendly", but that breaks the ability to use it with "official" software.

MakeMKV should tell you about your options when you run it, in the LibreDrive section of the Info window.

More details in this topic at the top of the UHD Drives forum: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2021
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Twinflicks

Post by Twinflicks »

Ok let me tell you what I need it for. I need to get screenshots from 4KUHD movies. I don't need to rip, just a way to play and take some screengrabs. Is there a simpler way to go about this?
Twinflicks

Post by Twinflicks »

I tried to rip a 4KUHD using the portable UHD drive. It worked until it didn't. It said Libredrive could not open the disc. Is this because the drive is not flashed??? Will it work if flashed.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Generally speaking, MakeMKV needs the optical drive's firmware to be flashed to support LibreDrive to be able to rip a UHD.

UHDs have a more complicated encryption scheme than regular blu-rays. The LibreDrive firmware makes it possible for MakeMKV to bypass a bunch of it and rip the movie. This firmware is available for a select set of drive models; see the aforementioned Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide.

I just tested taking a screen shot of a 4K rip made with MakeMKV using the player MPV on macOS Big Sur (on Intel). It was successful. I also took a screenshot of a movie purchased & downloaded from the iTunes Store and played with Quicktime. As I suspected, the Quicktime window was blacked out. I have never used 'official' UHD playback software (I don't think there's any available for macOS actually) but I suspect you'd end up with blanked out screenshots by going that route. I think your best chance as success is a flashed drive to allow MakeMKV to rip the movie.

As a side note, if you want to make things easy, there are sellers on this board that will sell you a flashed and tested drive. However, with a bit patience and some reading, you should be able to flash your own drive with freely available tools. It's all in the first post of that guide.
Twinflicks

Post by Twinflicks »

Thanks for the info! I just talked with Billy Clarkson and he told me exactly which drive to get and he'll send me that flash kit. Awesome. This has been driving me nuts the past 2 days. And I finally found the solution. Any other tips?