Ripping Blurays with full Dolby Vision layers in mkv

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Voodoo90

Ripping Blurays with full Dolby Vision layers in mkv

Post by Voodoo90 »

Hello,
I am new to the forum and to BD remuxes. Previously I got a UHD with the right firmware and started ripping my BDs on our NAS for Plex.
We will upgrade your TV/Home Cinema system soon and since we are spending the money, we want to be at least able to playback all current audio and video features. Capability of components and Plex is a different topic.

I want to focus on make mkv. I have been ripping the main video stream from the BD into a mkv file.
I am also aware that Dolby Vision is quite messy and though I have been able to bring light into the audio, True HD, DTS, DD+ mess, I am still lost in all the Dolby Vision mazes. I studied a lotof threads, which confused me even more since a lot of it might be outdated etc.

Therefore I would like ask bluntly, how can I ripthe full potential of the BDs with DV FEL? Is it ripped by default if its there?
Will it be in the mkv file or do I need to do something else than just ripping the BD?
Playback of different profiles and various devices is whole different topic. I just want to have everything in the file in order to theoretically be able to play it back.

Cheers,
V
Poker354

Re: Ripping Blurays with full Dolby Vision layers in mkv

Post by Poker354 »

Makemkv will rip the DV by default. On a UHD disk the DV is contained in 2 hevc tracks. Makemkv merges them into one track. The tracks - base layer and enhancement layer, can be demuxed back out of the mkv into separate layers if you require them to renix for compatibility with a different player etc.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

just note, I don't believe there is any player in existence (as of now) that can actually do anything with the FEL. The best we get in playback is HDR10 with dynamic metadata.
Voodoo90

Post by Voodoo90 »

I see. Thanks for the clarification. From what I have red in the past days full compatibility with DV can only be achieved with isoor bvmd folders on a zappiti or Dune etc?
AngryVirginian

Post by AngryVirginian »

thetoad wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:08 pm
just note, I don't believe there is any player in existence (as of now) that can actually do anything with the FEL. The best we get in playback is HDR10 with dynamic metadata.
I thought that the new Chromecast has dual channel decoder and can play & apply FEL in DV7 mp4 containers. The drawback is no lossless codec audio support in mp4.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Also Ugoos AM6plus has two hevc decoders onboard, so basically it can do FEL.
But it's a very buggy player. Stuttering, audiodropouts.
AngryVirginian

Post by AngryVirginian »

Voodoo90 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:23 pm
I see. Thanks for the clarification. From what I have red in the past days full compatibility with DV can only be achieved with isoor bvmd folders on a zappiti or Dune etc?
No. These RealTek 1619DR players will disregard the FEL Enhancement Layer and only apply the RPU (same thing as what the NVidia Shield Pro 2019 is doing through Plex). Only an Oppo or its clone can successfully play DV FEL in ISO.
Spearfish25

Post by Spearfish25 »

Zidoo just sent me this. It’s their new firmware.
57B65D25-A004-4119-B723-345486E90790.jpeg
57B65D25-A004-4119-B723-345486E90790.jpeg (240.39 KiB) Viewed 13821 times
hart2hart

Post by hart2hart »

Spearfish25 wrote:Zidoo just sent me this. It’s their new firmware.
Which player are you running?
Spearfish25

Post by Spearfish25 »

Zidoo z1000 pro. Comes tomorrow. I was questioning them before buying.
dysprosium

Post by dysprosium »

Spearfish25 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:36 am
Zidoo just sent me this. It’s their new firmware.

Zidoo have always used this language regarding their Z9X etc.; when they say FEL is "supported", they mean that the file can be successfully played, and the RPU is properly applied ("real Dolby Vision rather than converting by the engine"), but the EL is still not processed and used. This is in contrast to the behaviour on earlier firmwares where MEL files would play in DV but FEL files would either play in HDR10 or not at all.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Voodoo90 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:23 pm
I have just received the Dune HD Max Vision 4K today but have not unboxed yet, as I am getting slaughtered with my Black Friday BU40N Deal that I am beginning to wish I didn't do.

Here is some of the new features with this model.

Premium full-sized casing

Standard 43 cm design fits perfectly into your audio/video rack.
Hi-Fi analog audio outputs

The media player has high-fidelity analog stereo audio outputs (2xXLR + 2xRCA) based on a premium 32-bit DAC (AKM AK4493EQ or ESS ES9038Q2M) with industry’s leading level low distortion characteristics. You can play music in the most advanced DSD format in "Direct DSD" mode, as well as in various lossless formats, including FLAC / PCM up to 384 kHz.

The media player has a silent cooling system based on 120mm Hi-End ultra-low-noise fan from Noctua.
RTD1619DR media processor

The newest RTD1619DR media processor is the most advanced and the most powerful media processor from Realtek with Dolby Vision support.
Two HDMI output ports

The additional HDMI output port allows getting the best picture and audio quality in various scenarios, for example, when using a 4K/HDR TV and an A/V receiver without 4K/HDR support.
Dolby Vision and HDR10+

The media player supports not only HDR technology (supported by the previous generation of media players), but also the most latest and advanced Dolby Vision and HDR10+ technologies. In conventional HDR technology, the brightness range is set at the beginning of the film and does not change during the film, so completely dark and completely bright scenes may have insufficient detail. In the latest Dolby Vision and HDR10+ technologies, the brightness range can vary from frame to frame, so the maximum picture detail is provided even in scenes that contain only dark or only light elements.
Dolby Vision VS10 video processor

The advanced Dolby Vision VS10 video processing engine ensures maximum image quality when playing any type of content (SDR, HDR, Dolby Vision) with any type of video output signal (SDR, HDR, Dolby Vision), improves the SDR/HDR/Dolby Vision conversion quality, minimizes the effect of "posterization" ("banding") due to more advanced 12-bit video processing. This gives benefits even when using the media player with older TVs that do not support Dolby Vision.
Playback of Dolby Vision ISO/folder structures

The media player supports direct playback of movie ISO/folder structures in Dolby Vision format (MEL and FEL). The extended Dolby Vision information is used and transmitted to the TV to improve the picture quality. This is possible due to the unique video playback and output engine created by Dune HD. Other RTD1619DR-based media players do not support this. Dune HD media players are the only hybrid network media players in the world that combine this functionality with support for Internet video services and Android applications in one device.
Widest support for Dolby Vision file formats

Dolby Vision is supported for all popular file formats (MKV, MP4, TS, M2TS, ISO, movie folder structure). All popular Dolby Vision profiles (P4, P5, P7 MEL and FEL, P8) are supported. The media player supports the largest number of variations of Dolby Vision file formats of any other media player.

https://www.dune-hd.com/products/dune-h ... y-features

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

I'm still skeptical that it uses the FEL.
vjunkie

Post by vjunkie »

I know this is an old thread, but I'm on the cusp of buying a media player, and I also want one that can do true "fel" encoded rips. I've already spoken to someone about getting an oppo clone for $350, if that's the only player still that can do proper fel, that's what I'm gonna get.